Chapter 9

Hands soothed over my hair and my eyes immediately drifted shut, cheek nestling into my mother's chest, her slow heartbeats calming my rapidly beating one. 

The smell of smoke and dirt was heavy and suffocating, thunderous roars and yells piercing the air, mother's hand drifting from my hair and wrapping around my waist instead, hoisting me upwards, pressing me closer to her body as she advanced unsteadily towards the thick of the crowd. 

My eyes burned when I peeled them open, grimacing at the heat and stench, wondering how both my mother and father hadn't complained about the environment.

"Move faster!" A command yelled by my father, who walked briskly, glancing to the devastating events around us. The protests had once again become violent and I watched quietly as a massive lycan slit the throat of a young boy, his sign with words of the need for peace clattering to the littered sidewalk as he crumbled to the floor, blood spurting.

Screams of anguish and horror sounded soon after and many humans began to surround the lycan, blocking my view of the beast, hearing its echoing roars as it fought back against the surrounding persons.  

I looked away then, feeling my mother's fingernails through the thin jacket I wore as they ran over my back. Her pace had increased, like my father's, and she urged that I hold her tighter. 

Fear spread in my stomach, growing like an uncontrollable disease as I sensed the lycans closing in, felt the rising alarm from both of my parents, people who were usually so calm and brave, qualities which I had hoped to attain myself one day. 

My head jerked up and down as my mother broke into a sprint, easily carrying my light weight. My father grabbed at her hand, pulling her forward as we attempted to seek the exit of the town, hearing the sob from my mother as she stepped over the body of a dear friend, boots splattering in her pool of blood. 

I lifted my head, unable to hide my whimper of fear at the sight of lycans rapidly approaching, their slow jogs morphing into strong runs. My eyes flickered to the silver symbols adorning their uniforms before meeting their eyes, closing my own at the gleam of hunger evident in theirs. 

"Just hold on baby," Shaky, whispered words from my mother. My arms tightened in response, the wind battering my hair and back. 

Something crack behind us, and I dared to look up once more, watching in awe as a building behind us slowly crumbled to the ground, effectively kicking up dust and crushing the few lycans who had pursued us. 

The noises of cement and wood falling rang in my ears long after we had left the town and tears ran freely down my cheeks, knowing that even though there were no lycans in sight, we still were not truly safe. 

We never were. 

**********

“They are here.” Helda spoke once the bedroom door closed behind us, but I placed a finger upon my lips, catching the soft tone she used, understanding that what she intended to say was supposed to be for my ears only. 

My head bowed, fingers gently strumming up and down my bandaged ankle as I listened for the retreating footsteps of the guards, straightening once satisfied and taking Helda’s arms, drawing her closer to me on the bed. 

“Who are here?” I asked quietly. 

“My aunt, uncle and several cousins,” Helda glanced behind me to the barred windows. “They are speaking with Elijah, the beta I believe. But I saw them with him, walking into a building after Elijah notified the alpha.”