Chapter 12: Dancing Through The Past

You laid awake that night, your mind replaying thoughts about Connor. You thought about your almost kiss, his argument with Markus, him finding you outside in the gardens, and your unexpected meeting with his step-brother Cain. These things all remained in your mind, and no matter how many times you tossed and turned, you could not fall asleep.

As your mind refused to let you go to sleep, when the sun began to rise, you prepared to go to school. You told yourself it was because you may as well get school work done, but in reality, you couldn't get Connor out of your mind. You were falling hard for him, and you did not know if this was a good thing, or a bad thing.

Your mind continued to race with thoughts of Connor and Cain as you began to walk to school. The early morning sunshine warmed your face, and helped calm your racing mind. Connor... and Cain... they were two brothers who were so different, and yet they looked so alike.

Connor was handsome and popular, the star of the football team. Yet underneath all that, he was analytical, preferring to calculate crime scenes, and unsolved mysteries.

Cain was also handsome, in his own way, but he seemed to be more on the studious side. And according to Connor, he was manipulative, and controlling.

Both brothers seemed to have their secret side, a part of them that they revealed to no one. Even though you felt you were becoming a closer friend to Connor, it still felt as if there was something he was hiding: A moment in his past that he did not want to discuss.

"My family is complicated..." You recalled Connor's words. "I can't blame my dad... he's been through a lot. After... well..." Then he paused, without even finishing his sentence.

It was clear to you that something more had happened. But of course, you would not push Connor to tell you. After all, you had your own secrets too. And some secrets were better left unknown.

You walked inside the school corridor, and sighed in relief at how peacefully quiet it was. You had been reluctant, but now seeing the school as it was, it had been worth it to come so early.

Straightening your grey jacket and blue uniform skirt, you began to pace slowly up the corridor, taking in posters on the walls that you had previously ignored. Some talked about the school's new cooking club, and others were reminders not to litter. Your eyes fell on a familiar poster, one that announced the school play. It was a reminder of the memories you had tried so hard to forget. You moved closer, letting your fingers trace the image of the swan.

Yes... you had your secrets too. But... if anyone knew the truth, what would they say? You feared that if you were honest about your past, then everyone would judge you for it. Or... they would want you to dance again, even though you were overwhelmed with fear at the very thought of it. Every time you danced, the memory of falling replayed in your mind. You let your hand also fall from the poster on the wall. No... you could not be Markus's swan.

As you were just about to turn from the poster, you heard a shout echo down the corridor. It made you flinch, the sudden noise alarming you. You began to move cautiously down the hallway, nervous as to what you might find. You wondered if you should get a teacher.

You walked to the end of the hallway, and peered around the corner. What you saw completely startled you.

Markus was shoved against the wall, with another student pinning him down. The student was unfamiliar to you, a man with brown hair, and slight stubble on his chin. Although you could tell he was slightly muscular, the uniform seemed a little too big for him, and it hung off him loosely.

"Leo... don't make this difficult," Markus said softly, "You know you should listen to your grandfather."

"You think you're so FUCKING PERFECT, don't you?!" The man named Leo boomed, as he slammed the wall above Markus. "What do you have that I don't?!" He grabbed Markus's shirt collar, and to your surprise, lifted him slightly off the ground. "Come on, why don't you fight me?!"