Chapter 11: Friends and Strangers

You rushed outside, glad to feel the cool breeze on your face. It was spring, and yet the air outside seemed reminiscent of autumn. Feeling more at peace, you wandered around the back of the school.

You were surprised to discover a beautiful area with gardens. With the tall school walls, you had never noticed it before. There were many flowering plants, and you listened to the birds in the trees. You knew where you would be spending most of your time from now on.

You walked to the center of the garden, and were startled for a second time to discover the large amount of pigeons everywhere. They sat on the branches in the trees, on shrubs, and hopped on the ground. As you got closer towards the source of it, you heard a soft masculine voice humming. The pigeons flapped to let you past, before settling onto the ground again. When you finally got through the barrier of pigeons, you were surprised to notice a teenager in a grey cap, sitting on a simple stone bench. He kept reaching into a bag of bird seed and tossing it onto the ground. The birds excitedly gobbled up the seeds, and you giggled at the sight. At the sound of your laugh, the boy looked up and noticed you.

"Rupert, right?" You asked, remembering him from your first day at the school. He nodded shuffling over so you could sit beside him. You did, and you watched as he fed the birds once again.

"Didn't feel like class today?"

He shook his head. "The pigeons were hungry, and Mr Anderson doesn't mind if I skip out to feed them sometimes."

"Is that right?" You replied thoughtfully, "That's really nice of him..."

"He's way nicer than Mr Perkins," Rupert murmured, "I wish Mr Anderson could take over full time..."

"He's not full time?"

"No... he's a substitute, while Mr Perkins is on leave," Rupert mused. You waited for a moment, but he fell silent.

"What's Mr Perkins like?"

"Well..." Rupert muttered, "Umm... he doesn't like pigeons."

"Not very nice then I guess..." You replied, and Rupert nodded. You leaned back on the bench, deep in thought. If Mr Perkin's took over your class, you would miss Mr Anderson. You had only known him for a short time, but he seemed nice, in his own gruff way. Mr Anderson reminded you of a grizzly bear, but the cute ones they showed in the cartoons.

As you thought about the switching of teachers, you mind wandered to Connor and Markus. How would they react if Mr Perkins took over the class again. Would they still fight? You didn't think a stern teacher would allow that.

Your thoughts continued to wander as you watched Rupert. He was silent, almost awkwardly silent; however the silence wasn't uncomfortable. He seemed like the kind of person who watched on quietly, not judging, but simply taking in everything around him. You leaned back on the marble bench, letting the feeling of the breeze on your face, and the sounds of the birds and the rustling leaves in the trees lull you into a state of calm.

When you finally gasped awake, you could see the sun filtering through the trees. Connor was in front of you, looking concerned. You glanced around, to see that Rupert, and his pigeons, were nowhere to be seen.

"[F/N], are you okay?" Connor asked, looking you over, as if you might be injured. "You missed lunch, and didn't come to science class. I thought something bad had happened."

"I-I'm fine Connor," You replied, rubbing your eyes groggily. You couldn't believe you fell asleep!!

Connor helped you up, and together, you walked back towards the school. He gently took your hand in his, and you made no effort to pull away. "We were all really worried about you," Connor said, "We weren't sure where you went. I'm glad I found you..." He gave you a slight smile. That smile fell when he noticed the look of concern on your face. He sighed.

"I'm sorry about before..." He apologized, seeming genuinely guilty. "Markus and I... well... we don't exactly get on too well. I'm sure you could tell." You giggled at that, and Connor seemed to relax.

"I didn't mean to make you feel bad... I just got carried away," Connor continued, "It bothered me that Markus came in so quickly, and took what Simon had worked so hard for. He always seems to be that way..." Connor scowled slightly, and you gazed at him for a long moment. Markus's words towards Connor replayed in your mind, "You wanted Mr Anderson to choose you, and not me, isn't that right?"

You wondered if what Markus said, had actually been the truth. Was Connor jealous? But... if that was the case... then it seemed that Markus may be jealous of Connor also.

You pushed the argument to the back of the mind, and tried to find other topics to discuss with Connor. You talked about your homework, and Connor talked about what you missed in science class. Connor rambled about a show he saw on television, and you laughed at his adamant interest. Eventually, you reached the main doorway of the school, and began to carefully walk down the steps.

"Want a lift with me?" Connor asked, "I'm sure dad won't mind."

"That would be great, thank you," You replied. Before you could say anything more, you were interrupted by a low masculine voice.

"You didn't tell me you had a girlfriend."

Connor raised his head so fast, and locked eyes with the stranger. You also gazed at him, and gasped as you saw double.

Although the man was taller, he was the spitting image of Connor. He wore a a black suit and a loose white tie. His chocolate brown hair was neatly brushed to the side. He looked exactly like an older version of Connor. What gave him away was the odd colour of his eyes, a greyish-blue colour, like steel.

"What are you doing here Cain?" Connor asked, apprehension in his voice. The man chuckled, leaning against the railing of the school stairs.

"What? Is it wrong for me to want to visit my little brother?"

"I know that that's never the reason."

Cain gave Connor a slightly annoyed look, before his features fell into a calm smile once more. You could imagine that if not for this current unsettling situation, he could be quite charming.

Ignoring Connor's comment, he turned to look at you, seemingly noticing you for the first time. "I'm sorry, I didn't properly introduce myself... my name is Cain, Cain Stern. I am Connor's step-brother."

"I-It's nice to meet you..." You stuttered.

"What's your name?"

"U-Umm I..."

"Don't go near her Cain." Connor gave Cain a very serious look, and Cain smiled.

"That's rude. I was only asking for her name."

"You don't need to know her. We were just leaving..." Connor grabbed your hand and whisked you past him. You looked over your shoulder to see Cain watching you, a small smile playing on his lips.

When you had finally walked far enough away from him, Connor let out a sigh, and you slowed to walk at a more steady pace.

"I'm sorry about that... you probably think that was harsh of me."

You didn't know how to reply, and Connor gazed at you, continuing to speak as you both walked towards the parking lot.

"Listen, if you ever see Cain again, don't trust him," Connor insisted, "He acts good, but he is a manipulative bastard." You flinched, hearing Connor swearing again, so openly.

"I didn't know you had a step brother..."

"My family is complicated," Connor replied, rubbing the back of his neck, a gesture he seemed to pick up from his father. "I can't blame my dad... he's been through a lot. After... well..." Connor paused mid-sentence, and walk, closing his eyes, seemingly recalling something painful.

"You don't have to tell me."

Connor gave you a kind smile. "We've just lost a lot, that's all... we've gone through some difficult times." He paused, thinking over his words. "Still, we made the most with what we had. And that's the most important thing."