04 | s p i d e r s ?

"{E} xplain yourselves." Snape replied immediately.

"Come on, Professor!" I exclaimed while pulling him along into a brisk walk. Not the best thing to do to your teacher, but we couldn't lose the voice. "Harry and I heard this thing in the walls, and we think it's behind the attack. I think it's a snake of some sort, because we're the only ones who can hear it."

"I see."

We turned the corner and what we saw stopped us in our tracks. "Mr. Malfoy?" I asked confused.

"Ah." He raised an eyebrow at our little trio. "Miss Potter— and her brother I see."

"What are you doing here?" My adrenaline was pumping me forward, and I just realized that he had company.

"Professor Dumbledore?" Harry asked for me. There was also a man we didn't know, but Snape apparently did, as they exchanged quick nods.

From what I could tell, they were headed to the cottage in the grounds. I was told that was where one of Harry's friends lived. What was his name?

"Professor! We need your help—" Harry started.

"Needed your help. With potions homework. But, Professor Snape's cleared everything up for us. Well for me at least, potions isn't Harry's strong suit." I said giving Harry a warning look. We had no idea who the other man was, and if we revealed anything, it would jeopardize the school— and Dumbledore's position. "Anyway, Mr. Malfoy, it's really great to see you, I'll tell Draco you came by?"

Before he could say anything, I kept going. "Great, well I don't mean to be a bother, but I've been really meaning to ask you something, do you have time after you're done with business? I mean, curfew isn't going to be for another half an hour." I asked innocently. This was really pushing it. I needed to hear what was going on, and at this point, Harry and I had lost the voice anyway.

The other man looked like he was about to protest, but Dumbledore cut him off. "I don't see why not." he said with a twinkle in his eye.

As they continued their walk to the cottage, I whispered to Harry. "Go. Find the voice, ask around. Especially ask Granger for help. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Good night, Harry."

"Good night." He said hesitantly, he looked as if he wanted to stay, but decided to trust my judgement.

Snake and I trailed behind them, and I told him, "I'm sorry for taking up your time, Professor."

"I will look into what you have found, but be careful, Miss Potter." he warned again, exasperatedly, as if he knew I wasn't going to listen.

"Yes, sir." I chirped.

As I jogged to catch up, I heard clips of talking about past offenses? Who was this Hagrid dude, and why was he sent to Azkaban before?

And then Lucius hit him with the, "You call this a house?" And wow, was that a sick roast.

My eyes widened as I heard of Dumbledore's suspension and Hagrid's past offenses. When he noticed me, he cleared his throat, "All I have to say is, if anyone's looking for something, I'd just tell 'em to follow the spiders. Yeah, just follow the spiders is what I would say."

Crap. I had to think of something to say to Lucius.

"Yes, Miss Potter? What was so important to tell me?" He asked expectantly.

"I-I think Draco likes someone." I babbled out. Really Potter? This is the best thing you can think of?

"Oh really?" Lucius raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, and also I was wondering if it were alright if I could come over during Winter break?" I quickly changed the subject, the last one was way too awkward.

"Of course. You know you're always welcome."

~~~

The next day, I got Harry up to date on everything.

"Anyway, I was thinking," I paused to wave at Cedric as he walked by. "Wait! Cedric! Come here!"

He back tracked, "Yeah?"

"I was thinking," I started again, "You know how we always hang out at the lake?"

They nodded, still looking confused. In the back of my mind, I noticed how nice Cedric's eyes were looking today. And not to mention his hair...

What the hell?

"I was thinking that we could go swimming!" I finished, looking up at them with eyes filled with anticipation.

"Swimming?" Harry asked, "Is that even allowed?"

"Well there aren't any rules against it." I shrugged, "Come on, guys! Please? It's going to be so much fun, I promise."

"I'm in." Cedric said, "So, when is it?"

"This Sunday at one. I'll bring snacks." I turned to Harry with pleading eyes, "Come on, big bro? You can bring your friends!"

"I don't know.." Harry said hesitantly, still caught up about the rules.

"Even Weasley." I said distastefully, I had never gotten over Ron's horrible first impression on me, and it's not like he ever apologized.

"Malfoy's gonna be there, huh?"

"Always." I winked, "So what's it gonna be, big brother? You know I'm just gonna drag you out if you say no."

"Fine," Harry rolled his eyes.

"Whoo!"

~~~

Class. Was. So. FUN.

Unexpectedly, I was a master at potions. Most of my classes were a breeze, all except Herbology.

I know.

I was so frikin basic. A Slytherin not good at Herbology? It's the most reused cliche, I was a living stereotype!

Maybe the real secret of sorting is that the hat predicts which class is your specialty. Now that I'm thinking about it, isn't it weird that we separate kids into rivalries over the word of a talking hat that we only see once a year? I mean, I'm just saying...

Draco wasn't the best at the class either, so I couldn't ask him for help. I headed to Mrs. Sprout, to ask for extra credit or some tutoring.

She was the nicest person I've ever met, and as she tottered to tend the plants we were working on tomorrow, she commented, "I know a very diligent student who could be your tutor."

My stomach did a little jump as I immediately pictured someone inside the back of my mind. "Really, Professor?"

"Of course, he's a darling boy, always helps me out. You might know him, Oliver Rivers? He's a Ravenclaw in your year."

"Ah." I might, no, I did feel disappointed. And it scared me to think of why.

Did I have a thing for Cedric?