Chapter 5

Lilly's POV

"Okay little mate, we will play a game. I ask a question, and you answer truthfully. Then you get to ask a question. Fun, right?" Jaxson starts off the conversation.

"F-fun?" What is fun and what is a game? Oh well, if he wants to play then we can. "W-we play... now?"

"Yes now, I'll start us off. What's your favorite color?" He asks.

"C-color? W-what... that?" This is all so frustrating! I know nothing that he is saying! Out of frustration, I pull my hair and breathe heavy. I just want to know all these things he is talking about!

"Hey hey, it's okay Lilly. Take deep breaths with me." He quietly soothes me with his soft voice. I could listen to him all day.

As I calm down, he asks, "What stressed you out?"

"I d-don't... color?" I can't figure out how to word my sentences! Life is so difficult now, I never had to talk much at home.

"You don't know what colors are?" He asks with no judgement in his eyes. This makes me feel less ashamed of myself because I know nothing. Nodding my head, I sigh.

He quickly tries to explain what colors are to me. "You see this cup? It is white. The door is brown, and my eyes are green. Does that make sense?"

Not understanding, I nod anyway, not wanting to make him mad. Gaining some courage, I admit what my favorite color is, "Y-you... eyes. G-green."

He lifts his lips up into a brilliant smile, making me so much happier. He liked what I said! He is happy with me! I've had no one ever happy with me before, and it felt amazing. I made him smile. Maybe he won't hurt me.

"Y-you?"

"Your eyes, they are a beautiful blue. They are my favorite color." Now it was my turn to smile. I can't believe he likes my eyes! I've never even seen them before, and he likes them? "Now you get to ask a question," he adds.

"W-what mate?" I question. He still has explained nothing.

"A mate is your soulmate, your other half. They complete you. They are made perfectly for you, you have an unbreakable bond. You feel safe with them, secure, and fulfilled," he starts. "We are mates."

I understand this. I feel safe with him. I feel less empty with him. I believe I am truly his mate.

"It f-feels true. I-I feel... less e-empty," I admit truthfully.

"Well, that's good, little mate. You make me feel less empty too," he says. It is his turn for a question. I think I'm understanding this game! "How did you get those bruises?"

I wince, hoping he wouldn't bring those up. I don't want to tell him. Sensing this, he grabs my hand and looks me in the eyes. His beautiful green eyes locking with my blue ones. "You don't have to tell me now, but some day, I would like to know, so you will never be hurt ever again."

His words touch my heart. No one has ever cared for me. No one has ever showed me compassion or love. This feeling of safety is entirely new, and I think I'm liking it.

My turn! Another question! So much fun. This is because I have endless questions. "I-I smell like... w-wolf?" I ask, bouncing in my seat, finally understanding the game! I can play!

"Yes, you smell like you have alpha werewolf blood in you."