[21] Death

Aubrey's POV: 

I didn't want to leave him in there, I didn't want to leave my friends in there, but I had no choice but to listen to what he was telling to me. I noticed the gun in his hand, but I didn't say anything, there was no point in asking questions, just follow his orders.

I run from the back door and down the road. That's when I come face to face with the girl. The girls are here here, but the men all standing there, but the men are all still inside. 

"Aubrey," Amara yells as she sees me. 

I run to her, and embrace her in a tight hug "They're still in there." I cry 

"I know honey." She rubs my back softly "They'll be okay." 

I pull back from the hug and stand staring at the building.

A moment later, the police come flying around the corner, sirens blaring and people begin running from the building. I spot Lane and Zay close to the building and they run inside. Shay and Charlie run to us. 

"Honey," Shay yells and pulls Amara into her arms, holding her close. 

Charlie does the same with her daughters Evie and Romee. She spots Emi and holds her arms open to her as well. "Come baby," she calls her and she makes her way over joining the hug. 

I watch the girls and their mothers and feel the tears welling up in my eyes. I'd do anything to have my Mum here right now. With my body still shaking terribly I watch the building.

All of the girls are out now, I spot Kassie and the others speaking to the police. Ambulances have arrived as well as more police back up and the building has now been stormed. 

Everything is quiet, the gunshots have stopped and still, my eyes are glued to the building, my chest rising and falling hard. 

"Aubrey." Shay calls breaking me from my thoughts. "Honey come over here." She takes me into her arms rubbing my back. 

As soon as her arms wrap around me, I fall apart in her arms and begin to cry. "I just need to know they're okay." 

More and more people are pulled from the building and then the body bags begin to be wheeled from the building. 

My heart sinks. 

We all stand watching the building, just waiting for our loved ones to return, but the chance that some of them might not is becoming all too real. 

Zay and Lane make their way over. Zay wraps his arms around Charlie and his daughters, Emi included. Lane pulls Amara into his arms kissing the top of her head a few times. Together they walk over to Shay and I. Lane wraps his arms around Shay, she moves back from me and falls into his arms, waiting for her son to walk out the doors, just like the rest of us.

Reid and Leo are the next ones out of the building, they run towards us. Leo running right for Evie and Reid to Emi. I watch as they embrace and turn back to the building. 

More body bags are pulled from the building, and my heart sinks a little more. 

A figure begins to run towards us once more, it's Nate. He stops when he reaches us and looks me in the eye. "I'm so sorry," he says shaking his head. He grabs Amara and pulls her into his arms, holding her as she cries. 

I'm so sorry... My heart sinks, the last time I heard those words was when I'd found out I'd lost my parents. This can't be happening. 

Lane and Shay look at each other, worry filling their eyes and then I see him, Easton, running from the building. 

"Thank fuck" Lane numbles, Shay places her hand over my mouth as she sobs softly, having thought she'd lost her son.

Easton runs to me, and I to him. I throw my arms around him. "Thank God," I say out loud as he holds me close. 

He steps back and holds my cheeks in his hands. "I'm so sorry, I did everything I could." 

I look around confused for a moment, why is he saying sorry to me? Nate said the same thing making me believe it was Easton, but it wasn't. 

Oh my God... Claire. No, she told me she was going home after our chat in my office. But what if she changes her mind?

"C-Claire?" I whisper

"I'm so sorry Sweetheart, she didn't make it," he whispers as he rubs my back 

"No." I shake my head tears streaming down my cheeks 

I feel like my world has been taken away from me once again and I pull back from his embrace looking for the one person who feels what I'm feeling.

"Where is Caleb?" 

"He's with her." 

I break from his arms and run towards the building. 

"Aubrey." He yells after me but I ignore him

I reach the building where I find Caleb with Claire in his arms, her body is limp and her skin pale, he is sobbing, begging her to wake up. I get down on the ground next to him and pull him into my arms as we sob together. "I'm so sorry." 

"Why won't she wake up?" he sobs "She won't wake up."

"She's gone Ca." I cry as I hold him.

An ambulance office appears over the top of us. "We'll need to take her soon, I'm so sorry for your loss." 

I pull back from Caleb and he pulls her further into his arms and kisses the top of her head. "I love you," he tells her before sitting her back on the ground. He places his head in his hands and sobs. 

I take her hand in mine and she's still warm. I sob as I look at her, my best friend for as long as I can remember and she's gone. "I'm so sorry." I sob "I'm so, so sorry." 

"I'm sorry, but we really need to take her now." The man kneels down next to us and places the stretcher down on the ground. He moves her body, my hand still holding hers until it's pulled away, caused by the stretcher being bulled up and her being pulled away from me. I watch as they place a blanket over her and I cry softly. 

Arms wrap around me, and I'm pulled from the floor. Easton pulls me into his arms, holding me as I cry. Amara and Romee consoling Caleb on the ground as he continues to sob. 

"I need to call Angie," I tell Easton through the tears. 

"Let's get you both home first and then I'll help you with your calls."