Chapter 19

POV Betty

After I realized that I was hugging Jughead, I quickly backed away, flustered.

"I umm.. have to get to class" I mumbled as I stepped back and tripped. Jug quickly stepped forward and caught me before I could make and even bigger fool of myself.

"Do you? Maybe I should walk you, princess" he smirked and I rolled my eyes.

"I think I can manage" I began but he shook his head and tightened his arms around me.

"Come on. I'll worry about you if I don't" he insisted and I didn't have the will power to fight him. He kept his arm around me as we walked first to my locker and then to my next class. All our friends saw us and they looked at me in surprise. I shrugged and they grinned. When we finally got to my class, Jughead stopped me.

"I'll meet you right here after class, ok?" he began and I shook my head.

"No need. V and C are in this class. They'll be with me." I explained, annoyed by his overprotectiveness. Suddenly, he grinned.

"I'm not meeting you because I want you to be protected" he said and I looked confused.

"Don't get my wrong, I want to protect you all the time, but I'm meeting you because I want to see you, ok?" he continued and I sighed. How can I fight that?

"Fine" I snapped and he grinned. He kissed my head and I hurried into the class. V and C came in and sat next to me a few moments later.

V looked at me with raised eyebrows and I glared.

"Don't start. He caught me in a moment of weakness" I snarled and she and C chuckled.

"Sure he did" V mocked and I sighed. Thankfully, the teacher came in and began the lesson.

As she taught, my mind wandered to Jughead. I knew that deep down, I still cared for him but I didn't think that I could ever trust him again. I didn't need a controlling boy in my life. If I was completely honest, Jughead and I would never be able to have a healthy relationship. He was too controlling, too dark and too overprotective. He would never change and I shouldn't expect him to. I needed to get over these feelings and let him go, I decided. Mind made up, I could finally focus on the lesson.

After class, true to his word, Jughead was waiting right outside the room.

"Hey, baby. How was class?" he asked as he leaned close. I leaned away and shrugged.

"Fine" I replied and he frowned.

"Are we back to this? Seriously, Betts?" he complained as we walked to my locker. I slammed my locker door shut.

"Yes, seriously. This can't happen. We can't happen. We wouldn't be good together. We would tear each other apart. You know this, Jug" I snapped and suddenly I was pushed into an empty classroom.

"You know that we would be great together" Jug whispered in my ear as he slid close to me.

"No. You would be controlling and overprotective. It wouldn't be healthy" I argued pushing him away. He grabbed my hand and kissed it.

"You can't deny that you want me too. I would change for you. I just want you to be happy" he began but I knew that it wouldn't work.

"I know that you think that, but we both know that it isn't true. You can't change who you are. Neither can I" I said but I didn't stop him from pulling me into a hug and allowed him to kiss my neck.

"I have to go" I finally said and pushed him away. I hurried out of the room and ran to my next class, tears threatening to overflow the whole way. V was already in the room when I got there. She looked at me in concern.

"What happened? Did he hurt you?" she demanded.

"No. Of course not. He just won't stop pushing. I can't be with him, V. He wouldn't be good for me. He wouldn't be healthy for me" I whispered and she nodded, thoughtfully.

"You are probably right. He's controlling and used to getting his way, but what if he was different with you? What if he changed?" she asked and I rolled my eyes.

"That would be perfect but you and I both know that won't happen and I can't take that chance" I replied and she nodded.

While the teacher taught, I dreamed of a Jughead that was calmer and kinder. That would trust me to make my own decisions and help me only when I asked for it. He would support me and not push me into anything. By the end of class, I was so depressed at what could have been. If only things were different.

When the bell rang, V and I hurried to our lockers and then I hustled to the library to meet Midge.

Poor Midge. She's got a lot to decide right now. I looked up as she walked into the library and sat down.

"How was the rest of your day?" I asked and she sighed.

"Moose understood but I still don't know what to do." she replied and I nodded. I didn't push and we reviewed for her class. By the end of the hour, she was a bit more ready for her test but I told her that I would tutor again if she wanted.

"I'll let you know. Thanks, Betty. I'll see you at the dance" she said as she hurried away.

I stood up and gathered my things. As I started towards the door, I groaned realizing that I had no ride home. I looked outside and brightened. At least it was a nice day out so walking wouldn't be too bad.

I walked out of the school and started down the road. After just a few seconds, I heard a motorcycle approach. I rolled my eyes and shook my head as it pulled to a stop just in front of me. I knew who it was without looking. I kept walking.

"What do you want, Jughead?" I asked.

"Wrong guy, sweetheart" I heard as I turned around. I froze when I realized that it was one of the guys that I had met at the mall.

"Oh, sorry! Malachi right?" I asked and he grinned in a way that made me uneasy.