Chapter One Hundred And Ninety Six - I am not qualified

The Headmaster's house was traditional in style manor in the fact that it was made up of a series of connecting courtyards, had an inner and outer spaces, meant for family and guests respectively and was surrounded by a large wall with gated openings, a large ostentatious one at the front and a discreet one at the side.  However, in all truth, the wall was decoration, the manor was sprawled over various mountain-platforms and the pathways weaving through gardens and connecting the courtyards were mostly formed of stairs and bridges.  This manor should have been filled with a hundred people; family and servants, but there was a silence to the whole place that only was disturbed by the mountain winds. 

The Headmaster well and truly valued his privacy. So much so, in fact, that there was no road leading to the manor, but a fixed receiving array positioned a few metres outside the first gate.  This is where the Teachers, Headmaster and two students arrived.  Jin Li had managed to tag along.

The Headmaster lead them through the first and second gates, into the outer rim of the manor.  He then lead them towards the setting sun, along a path that weaved through various spiritual grasses, all fresh and purely scented.  Sagi's eyes twitched as he spotted a rare stalk or two, but he knew fully well that these herbs were kept for ornamental purposes, so no matter how much he coveted them, he could do nothing.  Over a bridge that spanned a small chasm and they came to another garden that forked into two paths.  The Headmaster continued west and over another bridge, this one close to an imposing waterfall.  Despite their closeness to the roaring water, not a drop spilled upon their clothing.

Finally they arrived upon another plateau, an a modest courtyard.  There was no wall about the courtyard, being no need as the edges of the courtyard were a sheer drop down several hundreds of metres.  The property consisted of a two wings and the main home.  The Headmaster's large study and library took up the entirety of the west wing and so that was where he took them.  Not sure how it came to be there, but two large pots of tea were steaming upon the table and six cups were sitting in wait.

"Let's chat," the Headmaster indicated that everyone should help themselves to a seat and a drink, before sitting in a large and comfortable looking chair at his desk, stroking his dark beard.

"Leon, I've been watching you a while," the Headmaster admitted, "in fact since you first created your improved beast calming pill, before all of that business with the Caprian boy. I don't get involved with social situations, I won't save a student from personal problems and tribulations. Those sorts of things will either break or temper a person, if it is the former then I can say they are not likely to ever cultivate to the higher stages. This is life.

"I admit that I thought you would be one to break, but despite the fact that you suffered and there has been some lingering effects of what occurred back then, you have blossomed into an admirable young man and excellent alchemist."

"Wait, Headmaster," it was Teacher Sagi that interrupted his musings, "do you mean to say, that you were considering making Leo... Leon as a core student?" He changed the form of address for his student seeing as this is what the Headmaster called him and what the martial arts student called him. He wasn't certain why Leo's name had changed, but he would delve into that mystery another time.

"Yes," the Headmaster agreed. "Leon has the talent and ability. Why would I not?"

"Then you know about his carvings as well?" Volun's eyes began to sparkle, still wanting to unravel this part of the mystery that was Leon. The Headmaster naturally agreed with a nod. "Do you know how he came to have that ability?"

"Isn't it down to his root?" The Headmaster replied, more in statement than in question.

"What do you mean?" This time it was the Healer who spoke up. "It's just a star root, a little tertiary root."