Chapter Twelve

“You look ill, did you get any sleep last night? I heard you tossing and turning all night.” My mum commented as soon as I stepped into the kitchen. I had tried my best to hide the bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep I'd had. My hair was scraped back, not caring how unneat it was. For some reason I was unable to sleep or, when I did, I would wake up half an hour later and not be able to drift off again for another hour. I wasn’t having nightmares, actually I didn’t dream of anything, it was just black.
“No, couldn’t sleep. Probably a couple of hours.”
“Do you want the day off?” She had worry plastered all over her face. Normally I would have to be so sick that I couldn’t actually get out of bed for her to let me have the day off so I should have taken the offer but for some reason I wanted to go. A thought popped into my head but I pushed it away before I could even register the words.
“No thanks, I want to go to school
today.”
“Okay.” She said as she passed my brother his plate and some sauce, a little unsure of my answer. He greedily ate it before standing up and briskly walking out the door and to the bus stop.
Mum had made a full English breakfast and I mean full. Bacon, eggs, beans, sausages, hash browns, mushrooms, tomatoes and some fried bread. Looking at it all made me feel as if I was going to throw up. I only ate a small amount before deciding I couldn't eat any more so I left
early to go meet Leigh at the top of the ally way. Mum was giving me worried looks as I walked out the front door, but she didn’t say anything so I didn’t linger.
The fresh air helped slightly with the sickness but made me even more tired. 'Today is going to be horrible' I thought, I hate feeling tired in lesson because you can’t stay awake and if you close your eyes the teacher thinks there’s something wrong. Then they bring everyone’s attention to you by asking if you are okay in the middle of teaching and you have
to act normal. The thought popped into my head again but I pushed it away. I won’t think about it until I need to, which will be soon.

Leigh was already at the top of the ally when I got there. Her eyes were fixed to her phone so she didn’t notice me until I came to a stand still in front of her. Once realising I was there she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a hug which I returned happily. We were laughing and chatting away but my lips became sealed when my eyes came across a figure. He was standing at the gates again, wishing students good morning.
Today he was wearing a light blue shirt with a black tie and his black braces, his hair hung loose as it did nearly everyday. I think the only time I had seen him with his hair tied up was at the book shop. He must have sensed me looking at him because he turned to face me and our eyes locked, but not for long as he turned away and carried on greeting students. I already knew that this day was going to be awkward
and the best part was I had two hours with him, excellent.
“You want to go to form?” Leigh asked from behind me.
“Sure."
She smiled, completely oblivious. I made sure she was the one closest to him when walking through the open gates and made sure that I didn’t make eye contact with him.
“Morning.” he said slowly. Leigh replied with a simple yes and we carried on walking. She was still oblivious to the fact that I had ignored him. She talked all the
way to form about what happened when I left Josh’s house early. I caught a few things she was saying but my mind was too distracted to pay attention to what she was saying fully. I heard her say things about cleaning up, about her and Dylln, and how Josh wanted me to message him today because he didn’t get to say goodbye.
The room was empty when we sat down, so I pulled my phone out and messaged Josh incase I forgot latr. He replied instantly.
‘Where did you go? When I woke
up you weren’t there.’
Obviously he couldn’t remember me saying I was going home in the morning.
‘I went home; I had to meet a friend in town so I needed to get ready’
Again he messaged back instantly; he was probably on his way to school or, like me, there were no teachers in the room so he was able to be on his phone.
‘Okay, message me later yeah?’
I messaged back okay and put my phone back into my pocket just in time as the teacher walked in and took her seat. Soon after the rest of the form came pilling in and sitting down in their seats. Annie was the last one in, her bus was late again. She smiled and sat down. Miss went through the register and then went back to checking her emails. Everyone was chatting to each other but I was silently staring at the clock, wishing I would turn the clock back another hour. But it didn’t and with each second it got closer to that dreaded time, I got more nervous and felt sicker. Then sadly my time ran out and
the bell went.

It got harder to move my feet with each step. I must have looked weird, practically dragging myself along. He was smiling to everyone as they passed his but when he looked at me his smile disappeared and he walked into his classroom.
“He’s acting weird.” Leigh whispered into my ear.
I ignored her and carried on dragging myself along. Thankfully my feet began to work when I stepped through the door. He was staring hard at his computer trying not to look at me. I breathed in deep and took my seat at the front of the room and pulled out the things I needed.
“Today we will be watching the play 'An Inspector Calls'.” He said before returning to his computer and pressing play. Typing away he paid no attention to the class, only glancing up a couple of times. One of those times I saw him looking at me and furrowing his brow, but as soon as he saw I had noticed he looked away and closed his eyes. I placed my head into my hands and sighed, today was going great so far.
Suddenly the bell went signalling for break, I must have fallen asleep and it only seemed like we were twenty minutes into the lesson. I grabbed my bag and hurriedly walked towards the door but stopped when I heard him say,
“Aremor, may I have a word?”