Chapter 33

Loki sat in a corner of the library, breathing in the heavy smell of leather that hung in the air. Around him lay books about everything from stories about great warriors and fair maidens to theory about magic. He had been in the library the whole day, reading book upon book, absorbing all the knowledge he could get his hands on.

For as long as he could remember Loki had always wanted to know as much as possible, he wanted to know how everything worked and why it worked like that. The other children in the palace prefered to play and spar but Loki had always found that nothing could capture his attention like a book.

And right now reading what just what he was doing. The book propped up on his knees was about the Yggdrasil and the nine different realms and the pages which Loki's emerald eyes were roaming were about Jötunheim and the Frost Giants. On the left page were a picture of the face of a Jötunn and Loki traced the deep blue lines with his small fingers, feeling both fascination and fear at the thought of these creatures.

Father had told him stories about great warriors of Asgard and how they defeated the devious Frost Giants from Jötunheim and mother sometimes told him that if he didn't do as he was told the Frost Giants would come at night and take him from his bed. He knew that they couldn't do that, Heimdal could see everything and would tell the Allfather if the Frost Giants entered Asgard, but he was still scared sometimes. Those nights he would sneak into Thor's room and sleep in his bed, knowing that if a Frost Giant against all odds came to get Loki Thor would always defend him, because Thor was Loki's friend.

Loki was so engrossed in his book that he didn't notice the door opening, nor the footsteps coming closer.

"Loki!" Odin's voice carried through the library and Loki's head snapped up. He looked around, trying to identify the source of the voice, and saw to his left Odin walk out from behind a shelf.

"Loki?" Odin asked the boy who was frozen in his spot, his book open and pressed hard against his chest. "What are you reading son?" Odin picked up one of the open books that laid on the floor around Loki. This one was about magic and it's practises. Loki looked down in shame, he knew his father didn't like it when Loki practised magic but it was so interesting. He couldn't help himself.

Odin sighed and placed the book on one of the shelves. "What have I told you about magic Loki." He crouched down in front of his adoptive son. "It's not appropriate for little boys to study magic."

"Sorry Father." Loki whispered, not meeting Odin's eye.

"And what is this book Loki?" Odin sounded less stern now and when he reached out for the book in Loki's arms. Loki slowly handed it over. Odin frowned at the open book in his hands, but as soon as he realized what was written on the pages his frown was replaced by an angry scowl.

"Why are you reading about the Frost Giants, Loki?" He asked the little boy, who curled in on himself.

"I wanted to know more about them father." He whispered, the hands in front of his mouth muffling his words.

"They are monsters and the only thing they wish is to maim, kill and destroy."

"But father!" Loki protested, looking up at Odin with large eyes. "The book said that they are magic and that they build-"

"The book is wrong." Odin took hold of Loki's arm and dragged him into a standing position. "You will not read about the Frost Giants any more. Do you understand?"