vi. hostage

chapter 6 - hostage

chapter 6 - hostage

Loud, roaring thunder erupted from outside, making the drop ship shake and causing the boys surrounding Dakota, to stumble.

"What the hell was that? Are we under attack?" Bellamy asked as he got back on his feet.

The boys looked just as confused, and it only then occurred to the grounder girl that this might be the first violent storm that they'd endured since landing on the ground.

"It was just storm damage, we're okay." A boy stated, upon entering the upper room.

Bellamy nodded and directed his attention back towards Kota.

"We're gonna try this one more time. What's your name?" He questioned her.

But she didn't respond.

"Where's your camp? How many of you are there?" He asked, stepping closer.

Again, no response.

While he interrogated her, Miller was in the middle of rummaging through her belongings.

"Hey. Check it out." He stated, catching the other boy's attention.

They all gathered around her bag of supplies. Miller picked up a container that held various medicines and antidotes, handing it to Bellamy who examined them closely.

"What is this stuff?"

The boys shrugged in response as they observed them too. The only one who could give him an answer was Dakota, but she had already decided earlier that she wasn't going to talk and risk giving them any helpful information.

Bellamy placed the container back in her bag, before taking out her notebook.

When Dakota saw what he was touching, she grew agitated and started trying to jerk away from the restraints, only making them clatter against the poles.

"I think we found something she doesn't want us to see, Miller." He grinned.

And he was right. That book was filled with multiple drawings and sketches of things Dakota thought were important or intriguing, including parts of the forest and illustrations of their camp. If they were to see them, they would know that she had been spying on them all this time.

Bellamy opened the book and started flipping through the pages despite her wordless attempts of protest.

"These aren't bad," he said but paused once he came across a page with his sister's face on it.

Dakota had forgotten she had sketched a portrait of Octavia, as she was lying in her cave unconscious. It wasn't until Bellamy turned and gave her a deadly stare, that made her suddenly remember.