Chapter 11 - Home

Vincent sat in the train compartment, looking deep in thought. The story he heard yesterday still shocked him, although not as much now.

"Your move," said Arnya as she took a black prawn with her white knight. The two of them decided to play a game of chess on the way home to pass the time. "You ok?"

"Harry's probably taking it worse than me," said Vincent, thinking of his next move. He made his move and sat back. "I feel like, no, I know that I'm missing something important. It's driving me crazy!"

"Check. Your move," Arnya looked up at Vincent. "So how are you going to react around Sister An now that you know her past."

Vincent sighed as he moved out of check. "Well, to be honest, I thought about confronting her about it, but then again, after thinking about it, I've decided on my answer."

"..." Arnya moved her piece. "What kind of answer?"

"I don't really give a damn about what her past was like," Vincent said with a smile. Arnya raised her eyebrows. "Man, never thought I'd say those words, sounds just like him."

"Him?" Arnya thought, but didn't press.

"No matter what she was like, the Sister An that I know now is someone I love," Vincent looked thoughtful before moving a rook. "She took me in and looked after me, just like a mother. If I were to look at her differently just because I heard she did something bad, it'd be insulting to whatever she had done for me."

"What about me?" Arnya asked. "What if I had done something bad in the past?"

"...Depends on what it is," Vincent replied honestly. "But I think, I'd still look at you the same."

"...What if I do something bad in the future?"

"I'd tell you off," Vincent answered. "I'll keep doing it until you take responsibility for your own actions."

Arnya stayed silent as she moved her queen. "Checkmate."

Vincent's brow twitched as he looked at the board. "You'd give Ron a run for his money. This is like what, your sixth win?"

"Ten to me, eight to you," said Arnya.

Vincent glared at the chess board before resetting it. "Again."

...

"Annie Pettigrew, oh what a pleasant surprise!" a beautiful black-haired woman gave a crazed smile as woman dressed in brown robes appeared in front of her.

The two of them were under an old building in a chamber with concrete pillars surrounding them. They both stood some distance away from each other.

"Bellatrix," Annie muttered. "Wheres Frank and Alice?"

"Oh," Bellatrix took on a mocking look of surprise. "Those two lovebirds? Haven't seen them since a couple of days ago, you just missed them."

The corners of her mouth then twitched into a smile. "Oh, but they did leave some of their belongings behind. Shall I go fetch them for you?"

Bellatrix clapped her hands as a men in masks, resembling a skull of some sort, walked out from behind the pillars, surrounding her from all sides. Two of them carried bodies that levitated towards Annie. Not carefully handled, the bodies were roughly dropped at Annie's feet, lifeless. She quickly pulled out her wand, slowing their fall right before they hit the ground.

"Alice?" she said shakily as she got down to look at a woman's body who, despite breathing, looked no better from a corpse. Her eyes were blank as they stared at Annie, but not seeming to register anything. The other body, a man's, was in a similar condition. "Frank?"