29

Ruka (3)

We ended up setting camp at a nearby beach that was alone. We all sat around the fire while drinking tea - this time we made sure Zuko didn't make it.

"Wow, camping. It really seems like old
times again, doesn't it?" Aang reminisced.

"If you really want it to feel like old times, I could, uh..." Zuko glanced over at me. "Chase you around awhile and try to capture you with your sister on my tail."

I playfully rolled my eyes as the others laughed. Sokka put his cup out for a toast, "To Zuko: who knew after all those times he tried to snuff us out, today he'd be our hero!"

I included myself in the toast, chanting together, "Here, here!"

"I'm touched." Zuko softly spoke. "I don't deserve this."

"Yeah, no kidding." Katara retorted, looking up at him as her head was hanging down.

I sighed, "Katara, not now."

"Oh, I'm sorry? Am I ruining your little moment with your boyfriend?" She crossed her arms. Then she glanced at Haru.

"Stop it." Sokka scolded her. Katara rolled her eyes before getting up and walking away from the group.

"I'll talk to her." I said as I was about to get up, but Zuko stopped me by placing his hand on my knee.

"Let me."

I watched him follow her direction.

"That was dramatic." Toph said. "Anyway, pass the bread."

>>>

That night, I got ready to go to sleep in my tent. I was laying out the blankets and fixing the pillows when I heard a whisper.

"Hi."

I turned around and all I could see from the little crack was Zuko's face. I slid the front of the tent to the side, poking my own head out. "Is there something wrong?"

"Oh, no." He quickly shook his head, but then looked away slightly. "I just talked to Sokka right now."

I slowly nodded. "Something I should know about?"

"It was about the day your mother passed."

"Why would you talk about that?" I asked, my brows furrowed.

"It's part of the reason Katara hates me. Her anger is channeled from your mother's death."

I sighed. "It's not your fault though. She'll come around, just be patient." I put my hair back into a low bun then began to turn back around. "Goodnight Zuko."

His next words made me freeze. "I know who killed your mother."

I let my head stay down as I asked him, "How?"

"I talked to your brother. The symbol on the naval ships' flags, I recognize it." Zuko explained. "I just don't know exactly who."

I slowly shook my head. "I can't help you. I never saw him."

"Maybe if I talked to your sister, we could-"

"There is no we, Zuko. Stop prying for information that isn't relevant anymore. She's dead. What good is it going to do if you found him? It's not going to bring her back." I sighed, looking to the ground slightly. "I'm tired. You should get some sleep too."