Chapter 31: Not As Okay As I Seem

***And Another Update!!! Finally getting closer to the part I have been wanting to write ever since I started this story! Enjoy!!!***

"Who's hungry?" Tony's voice broke through the learning haze that had fallen over Loki and I. The sudden call made me jump and bring my hand my heart, the pen I was holding went clattering to the floor. I stare wide-eyed at Tony, blood pounding in my ears. For a moment, I saw the man in black in place of Tony.

A cold hand touches my shoulder, and I try to leap away from the touch, but I end up falling to the floor. Pain races through my side cause me to cry out.

"Please no,' I whimper over and over again. I was back on the street, and then I was back in my old room. Hiding in my wardrobe. I could hear my father loud footsteps getting closer to my door. "Please no."

Instinctively, I shut my eyes and put my hand over to head to ward off any blows that I am sure to come.

"Aithne," A voice calls softly to me. I know this voice. This voice is safe. 

"Shortcake, you are safe here. I promise." Another voice calls to me. I know this voice too. This is a safe voice. I know this. Despite reassurances to myself, I couldn't open my eyes. A door suddenly slams open, I scream and try to scramble backwards. I can only go so far before my back hits something hard. Pain once again ruptures through my side cause me to curl into myself. I can feel the tears start to make tracks down my cheeks.

"Please no. I'm sorry. Please." I beg, barely audibly.

"Alexis, can you hear me? Can you tell me where you are?" A safe voice asked softly.

"In...in my wardrobe."

"No, you aren't Shortcake. Can you feel what you are sitting on?"

I crinkle my nose in confusion but am surprised when I put my hand to the floor, I don't feel the rough carpet that covered my wardrobe floor. Instead, I feel something soft and fluffy.

"I...I don't understand," I whisper.

"Shortcake," the voice sounded closer. "Can you open your eyes for me?"

I shake my head. Confusion still distracting my sense.

"Come on, Shortcake. You just need to open your eyes for me.

Slowly, I force my eyes open. At first, it is blurry due to the tears still running down my face. I swipe a hand across my eyes, and I see a man first. He's on his knees, just a metre away. His eyes I found were comforting.

"That's good, darling." The man says as he shifts a little bit closer. I instantly put my hands up to stop him from coming any closer, and he does stop. He raises his hands up in surrender. "Alright. I won't come any closer. But, do you know who I am?" he asks. His voice is still soft. Still safe.

I stare at him, trying to remember when memories come trickling back into my mind. A car hitting me. Carrying me. Avengers. Red and gold suit. Flying.

"Tony Stark," I whisper. "Iron Man."

He smiles and nods, "That's right. Can you tell me where you are?"

"Avengers Tower. Safe."

"Exactly. You are safe here," he confirms. "Can I come closer?"

I nod, and I watch as he slowly creeps closer and stops just in front of me.

You know where you are?" he asks again, putting a hand of my knee. A feeling of comfort and security envelopes me from that small touch.