Chapter 2

"P-Please, I was just running from- from people who were chasing me!" Pip squeaked when the men stepped closer. "I'll climb back over and never trespass again!" One of the men didn't stop smirking, and Pip felt very unnerved.

"Too late, you've committed the crime. Sid, get him."

Sid, the man with red hair and a pointed nose, did as he was told and marched to Pip, who was too scared to run away. He couldn't climb over the fence in time and running would only make him seem more guilty. Sid's grip on his shoulder hurt. Pip knew he was in a lot of trouble.

"Are you calling my family?" he asked, staring up at the enormous building. Fifty windows stared back. The building could have been a hotel, but for who?

A large oak door was propped open, waiting to swallow Pip up. The closer they got to the building, the more hesitantly he moved. The institute was a place he never thought he'd be, not at night, and not because he trespassed.

Pip slowed until Sid was pulling him along, not pushing him. "Go," Sid grumbled and shoved him across the grass and onto the stone yard.

Pip almost fell on his face. "A-are you calling my family? Or the police?" he asked, stopping at the door. He peered inside a room full of couches and cushions with a large TV on the right wall. Red seemed to be the main theme with red cushions, red blankets and deep red walls. The floor was a dark wood and a few unfinished board-games scattered across the table.

The other man scoffed. The light exposed three long scars on the left side of his face. "The police can't help you," he muttered and snapped his fingers for Sid to continue heaving Pip inside.

"You sure about this?" Sid hissed. "They'll smell him all over the building-"

"Well, we better be quick then."

Pip had to jog to keep up with their long strides across the room. The moment he set foot in that place his heartbeat heavier. Something felt odd. His intuition wasn't just hairs standing on the back of his neck because the building was creepy. Pip felt as though he had stumbled upon something he was never supposed to see.

"W-wait, wait! Please, just let me call my family, they'll-"

Pip's words were squeezed from his mouth when the scarred guy grabbed his throat and shoved him into the wall. Pip whimpered and started to tremble. Though from the corner of his eye, he saw someone stand up.

"Sid, Jordan, what are you doing? Who's that?" a tall woman asked, pointing to Pip, staring at him curiously.

"Nothing and nobody. Get back to your reading." Jordan yanked Pip from the wall, still clutching his neck. He turned the knob, but the woman rushed over and stopped him.

"Does Alpha Krey know about this?"

"Why should he? This human trespassed, so-"

"So, you're putting him in the cellar? Alpha wouldn't-"

"Wouldn't what? Approve? Please, Alpha Krey would have destroyed this human if he caught him."

Pip looked back and forth between Jordan and the woman. They spoke oddly, but they had stopped talking and stared down at him. Pip gulped, knowing that he looked terrified. He hoped they would sympathise. He looked a little younger than his actual age of eighteen.

"Why were you trespassing?" the woman asked, but Jordan cussed and made Sid move her from the door.

"I'll do the asking. Go find some cleaning to do, Omega."

Sid's hands were on Pip again, pressing on him hard enough for Pip to stumble into another room. This one was pitch black and he didn't see the stairs until his ankle twisted on the top step and he fell hard.