Chapter Thirty One: An Apology.

Samantha

I woke up on the couch to find Ashley typing away at her laptop on the couch opposite mine. It was evening already, I noticed, as I looked out at the windows above her head.

"Good evening," I mumbled. She looked up and smiled her signature warm smile.

"Ah, hello. You fell asleep immediately after lunch. I thought you might as well get the rest. It's much needed after all that travelling, isn't it?"

"Yep. Very."

"Are you okay now?' she asked without missing a beat.

"Yeah, I'm feeling better."

She smiled again. "Good to know," she said, before returning to her laptop. The clicks and taps began again. I settled into the couch and stared up at the pastel coloured ceiling.

The tapping suddenly stopped again.

"Hey, Samantha?"

I looked back at her. "Yeah?"

She cleared her throat. "Would you like to, um. . . you know, roam around town for a bit? I could show you around. I promise it'll be fun. We can eat something, too."

"I don't think I can walk all that long. I'm still tired. But dinner sounds nice."

"Dinner it is then!" she exclaimed. I looked up at her, smiling weakly.

"I'll get you some clothes," she said, walking into her room.

I closed my eyes and pictured Harley kissing my neck, her light brown hair falling over her shoulders and her arms holding me close, strong and safe. I felt myself relax.

"Samantha?" The dream got cut off at the voice and I stared up at Ashley, holding a blue dress out to me. "I hope this one's alright. I have some jackets, too."

"Thanks," I whispered, getting up to go change. "My parents are probably going to send in my bag tonight."

"That's good," she replied, walking into the kitchen.

***

"So, Samantha. Tell me about yourself," said Ashley, staring into my eyes. We were at a McDonald's close to the apartment and she was sitting across the table from me.

"You don't have to talk to me if you don't want to, you know?"

"Why would you think I don't want to?"

"Because I'm a nobody. You've never seen me or talked to me before. I came out of nowhere. We're basically strangers. The only reason you know me is that I'm Perry's sister."

She stared at me for a bit and I got worried over whether that offended her or something.

I mean, why would it? It's only the truth.

But then she spoke again, undeterred and confident.

"Well, first of all, Perry talked about you almost everyday. Something or the other always reminded you of her. So, at this point, I know almost all of your six year old interests and habits and inclinations that you may or may not have carried with you till now. Second of all, you look so much like her I feel like I'm talking to Paris. A younger, happier Paris with sea-coloured eyes instead of the bright green. I almost feel like I'm thrown back into my high school years. And, third of all, she loved you so much, and that itself is reason enough for me to want to get to know you."

I breathed in, taking it all in.

"So. . .? What's it gonna be? You can either ignore me and wait till your parents get back or we can be friends. Good friends, if you'd like."