Chapter 17

"Ok, Jennie, now you have to explain it to me."

Jisoo smiled when Jennie groaned loudly and slumped her head against the back of Chaeyoung's seat. "I don't want to."

"Please, we're only two days away from Carson City. I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into. What we're getting ourselves into."

Jennie did not sit up; if anything, she leaned more heavily against the seat, and grumbled under her breath before finally sighing and speaking.

"You know what an annulment is, right?"

"Yeah."

"And the conditions with which it can be granted?"

"No."

"Well in our case they're pleading that I was neither mentally capable to be getting married but also that there was fraud involved. Also the fact that we were slam drunk."

"And what do you mean by fraud?"

"That you married me for my money. They will be asking for financial statements and your work history, and from what I've heard they will be able to use that against you."

Jisoo rolled her eyes and leaned her head back against the seat. "So it's basically illegal to be poor in this case."

"Yeah, pretty much."

"But how can they be the ones filing for an annulment? Isn't that something spouses should be doing?"

"I'm mentally and legally incapacitated. They filed it on my behalf."

"You weren't incapacitated when we got married."

"Yes, but they claim that my mental status was already unhealthy when we got married," Jennie grumbled, "And they will be successful at that. I've never seen them lose."

"Jennie, stop talking about losing. We're not losing."

"But if we do, then I will be at my parents' mercy. Again. And this time there won't be a way out."

Jennie spoke so quietly Jisoo barely heard her, but she did and when the realization hit her it broke her heart. She had forgotten about how dire the situation was; having forgotten that the only reason Jennie was able to be with her was her conservatorship over her, she had only considered the annulment as a threat to their marriage.

But now she realized that it wasn't about that. If they got an annulment, Jennie would be gone from her forever.

She shuffled over in the seat and slowly wrapped her arms around Jennie's waist, pulling her into her lap and nuzzling her face in her neck. Jennie sighed and hugged her tight, her entire body tense with the fear that she had tried so well to hide for the past five days.

"I'm not going back to them," she murmured, "I can't, I'd rather die than let them control me again."

"Then have faith that we'll win, Jennie."

"I hope we win."

"That's not the same thing as faith."

"I don't know if I have any."

Jisoo tightened her arms around her and sighed. "Yes, you do. We're going to go to Carson City and to this court hearing, and then we'll prove to them that they're wrong and then we'll kick your parents' asses. Figuratively, not literally."

"You're cute," Jennie said softly, "But it's not that simple. They filed for the annulment, which means that they'll be representing me."

"What?"