Chapter 24

"Irene, I need your help."

There was a slight pause on the other end of the line as Irene sighed. "What is it, Jisoo?"

"I need your help."

"Yes, I got that part. What did you do, destroy Jennie's favorite mug?"

"No, but we're leaving for Mom's in two days and I don't have a present for her yet."

"Jisoo!"

"What? I've been trying, but I can't think of anything. I asked Lisa, but-"

"Oh, no, Lisa's ideas are crap. Don't listen to Lisa."

"I know, which is why I called you."

"Meet me at my place in half an hour. We're going shopping."

An hour later, Jisoo found herself walking down a bustling shopping street in Manhattan accompanied by an overly excited Irene.

"Okay, so, what does she like?"

Jisoo shrugged. "Lots of things. Hiking. Nature documentaries. Philosophy."

"She's a nature junkie?"

Yet again, Jisoo shrugged. "I'm not so sure it goes that far."

"Ok, something else. Is she a tea or coffee person?"

"Tea. She says coffee is bad for you."

Irene laughed. "Does she know you live off the stuff?"

"Yeah, she's been buying me this organic coffee which she says the 'least unhealthy' option. It tastes like dirt."

"But you still drink it?"

"Yeah? She threatened to sleep on the couch if I refused to listen to her about the potential lethality of coffee." Jisoo grumbled. "So yeah, I drink it."

Irene gave her a gentle nudge. "Marriage is about compromises, right? Here, let's go inside."

They entered into a department store filled with brightly lit Christmas lights and about a thousand people, and wandered around for at least half an hour before Jisoo came across something even remotely reasonable.

"Irene, look. Coffee flavored tea!"

Irene stared at her for a brief moment before smiling. "It's adorable, Jisoo. But you can't get your wife tea for Christmas."

"Watch me."

"I'm thinking you should buy her jewelry."

"I already got her a ring."

"So buy her earrings or a necklace. Something she can wear, and think of you."

Jisoo shook her head. "She's not really a jewelry type."

"Then I'm out of ideas."

"I'm getting the tea," Jisoo told her. "I think I have an idea."

"What?"

Jisoo raised her eyebrows. "It's a secret."

"Jisoo, I literally have no reason to tell anyone. Tell me."

"A tattoo."

"A tattoo? Are you out of your mind?"

"No, I'm not. She told me some weeks ago that she wanted a tattoo. I figured I could design a few and give them to her and promise to pay for it and hold her hand while she gets it done. That's cute, right?"

"But a tattoo?"

"She was pretty adamant that she wanted one, but also that she didn't know what to get."