Chapter 31

Jisoo awoke in the morning sore and thoroughly satisfied, happy as one could be when they were held in their wife's arms. But that happiness was overshadowed by dread when she remembered that they had their meeting with Taeyeon that day, although thankfully it was very early - barely six, in fact. The sun was just rising outside, and the apartment was still relatively dark. Jisoo found that she was wide awake, and after pressing a gentle kiss to Jennie's forehead she lifted her limp arms from around her waist and slipped away and to the bathroom to take a shower.

When she returned about twenty minutes later, she began dressing herself, but was interrupted by a muttered groan from the bed. Turning around, she was surprised to find Jennie sitting up in bed, her face scrunched up as she tried to wake up fully.

"Why are you up so early?"

"Couldn't sleep."

"C'mere."

"Jennie, I can't sleep any more."

Her wife cocked her head slightly and studied her. "You're worried about today's meeting."

Jisoo set down the shirt she had been about to put on and shrugged. "Yeah, I guess."

Jennie shuffled backwards to lean against the backboard of their bed and patted the space beside her. "Come here."

When Jisoo did as asked, Jennie wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer. "It's going to be fine, you know that. Taeyeon's the best at what she does, and if I have faith in her, you should too."

Jisoo shifted slightly. "It's not that."

"Then what is it?"

"She said before that she'll need you to tell her everything."

"Ah."

Jisoo rested her head on Jennie's shoulder and sighed. "I haven't asked about it because I didn't want you to have to think about it, but..."

"Do you want me to tell you?"

"I don't want to upset you by making you remember."

Jennie sighed and pulled Jisoo even closer, her hand rubbing Jisoo's shoulder gently. "It's fine. You're my wife. You should hear it from me now, rather than from me when I'm telling Taeyeon."

Jisoo nodded and settled against her, and waited.

"You already know about Nayeon. And the conservatorship, and you pretty much know what they did. But the school..."

Jisoo bit her tongue to keep herself from reacting to the twinge of pain in Jennie's voice. She was speaking now, and she knew it had to be at least somewhat hard for her, and was determined not to interfere.

"It was like a prison. Set up very prettily, in an old-timey mansion with a large estate and beautiful grounds, but we weren't allowed outside unless we had supervision. The students who were of 'most concern' had gps bracelets, which was almost all of us. The classes were fine and normal to the most part, anything what you'd usually learn in high school. But we also had religion classes, and a class called morals and ethics, which basically consisted of a two hour lecture about the real family and moral promiscuity and how it degrades the very face of society. They had two teachers in those classes; one to teach, another to watch the student's reactions. Anyone who grimaced or frowned or showed any form of emotion was noted, and if you hit 3 'notes of concern' you were assigned a personal tutor for that class."

That was where Jennie shuddered, and Jisoo nuzzled herself closer to her, an arm wrapping around Jennie's waist in a way which Jisoo knew made her feel safe.