Chapter 45

A day passed by, and Jennie grew much sicker than Jisoo was. By the next evening, her fever was at an all-time high, resulting in extreme discomfort for Jennie. She was hot and cold at the same time, and she felt grossly sweaty – and it didn't help that in her state, she really wanted to be held. Jisoo was less sick than she was, though her headaches made her very grumpy, and she was more than happy to comply with Jennie's need for closeness. To ward off the excess heat they were generating, they'd shed their clothes and reverted to using ice packs wrapped in towels to provide them at least some coolness even when they were cold. It was a strange thing; they were cold, but at the same sweaty, and under the covers it was hot and stuffy. Ice packs balanced everything out nicely.

Despite all her efforts to stay away from Jisoo and Jennie, Lisa had fallen ill as well, and so it was left to Chaeyoung to take care of all three of the idiots. Lisa she found a surprisingly easy patient; she basically just slept, only waking up periodically to grumble and demand food, and Chaeyoung found it absolutely endearing how soundly she slept. Jisoo and Jennie, on the other hand, were absolute messes; Jisoo had headaches which Chaeyoung's pain killers could only somewhat help, and that made her very pissy, whilst Jennie just hated the entire premise of the world and everything in it.

But she soldiered on anyway. That day she'd visited Jisoo's and Jennie's apartment four times to make sure they had eaten and were alright. When she'd received news of Jisoo's lab results, which had been negative for anything that would have given rise to further worry, she'd gone over to find the two of them sleeping soundly in each other's arms. Finding the scene so endearing and serene, she had written Jisoo a quick note and left as quietly as she could, deciding she'd give them the rest they needed.

She headed out for a little while to pop over to her own apartment to get some fresh clothes, and when she came back, she entered Lisa's apartment to find Lisa sitting in the kitchen, waiting for her.

"Where'd you go?"

Chaeyoung shut the door behind her and shrugged. "Got myself some fresh clothes."

"You were gone a while."

Chaeyoung studied Lisa's expression, and found it odd; she looked anxious, stressed even, and Chaeyoung had no idea what it was about.

"Why do you look like that?"

"While you were gone, your phone rang."

A quick pat of her pockets revealed to Chaeyoung that her phone wasn't with her, and she looked at Lisa in confusion. "Did you answer?"

"Yeah."

Lisa was quiet, and Chaeyoung felt very unsettled by her silence.

"Lisa, you're kinda scaring me."

Lisa raised a hand to rub at her temple and sighed. "Sorry, I'm a little out of it."

"Let's get you back to bed." Chaeyoung walked over and promptly picked Lisa up, and Lisa let her; she slung her arms around Chaeyoung's neck and buried her face in her shoulder, and when Chaeyoung tried to lay her into the bed, she wouldn't let go – instead, she yanked at Chaeyoung so that she fell beside her onto the bed.

"Lisa, I-"

"The call was from Doctors Without Borders," Lisa began, "Some woman named Anna? I don't know, but she told me to tell you that there's some urgent need for a leadership position to be filled."

"And?"

"Abroad."

"What?"

"She told me to tell you what it was, because she wants an answer by tomorrow and she's out of the office for the day."