Chapter 47

It took Lisa two days to get out of bed for more than two minutes. It took her three to actually leave the apartment and go to work.

Thankfully, Chaeyoung had left on a Friday, so she didn't actually miss any work during those two days of wallowing in self-pity.

She wanted to think that she wasn't down, but she was. It wasn't like she and Chaeyoung had been constantly together – sometimes Chaeyoung had gone to her apartment and stayed there for a couple of days, and there'd been that one time she'd gone for some convention in Chicago and been gone for a little over a week. They'd been fine then.

But Lisa wasn't fine now. Chaeyoung wasn't just a couple hours away by car; she was on another continent, only reachable by phone on occasion and rarely by Skype. She'd called Lisa from the airport when they'd landed, because the city had had good cell service. They'd talked for as long as they could, but then Chaeyoung's ride had arrived, and she'd had to go. A hasty goodbye was what Lisa had been left with, and she'd sat on her bed for ages just staring at her phone.

The knowledge that she wouldn't see Chaeyoung for another month had settled a weight upon her heart which bothered her every movement. Even her boss couldn't avoid noticing her solemn mood and lack of general snarkiness, and asked her about it during her break. She'd shrugged it off, and when he'd asked if she was ill, she'd said no.

She could have said yes and gone home for the day, but she wasn't sick. She should've been fine, and so she pushed herself to go through the day and live her life as it had been before Chaeyoung had entered it.

The day dragged on slow as ever – without the occasional text from Chaeyoung, everything felt dull and boring. Lisa had grown so used to spamming Chaeyoung's phone during her lunch hour that when it finally was twelve o'clock, she found herself with nothing to do. So instead she ranted to Jisoo about a stupid customer she'd had, and sent a few stupid pictures of puppies to Irene – but even so, she couldn't help but feel a little empty without a single message from Chaeyoung.

She'd already returned back to her place behind the register when her phone buzzed in her pocket.

Chaeyoung (13:04 p.m)

It's hot and humid and there's flies everywhere. Hope you had a nice lunch. Never thought I'd say this but I prefer New York's cold to this weather. Are you free to call me?

Lisa smiled so widely at her phone that the woman who'd come up to the register smiled as well, and waited patiently for her to notice her.

"Uh, sorry," Lisa stammered, pocketing her phone. "How may I help you?"

After the woman's business was well taken care of, twenty minutes had passed, and Lisa was so jumpy and anxious she was practically on the verge of being sick.

"Hey, Yang," she called out to her boss, "I need to go out for a bit. My mom called and she's pissed as fuck."

Her boss nodded understandingly. "That's fine, it's not like we're really busy at the moment."

"Thanks, you're the best."

She slipped out into the back and immediately dialed Chaeyoung's number. Each passing dial tone made her heart stop for the slightest moment. The phone rang for an unnecessarily long time, and for a while Lisa feared she'd missed her chance – but then the line connected, and she heard Chaeyoung's voice, and an exasperated sigh left her lips.

"Thought you weren't going to call at all," Chaeyoung said.

"Sorry, I'm at work."

"Shouldn't you be working...?"