Chapter 49

Slamming the door had been a bad idea. Rushing off without her phone had been an even worse idea.

By some shot of luck, she had some change and her metro card in her pocket, as well as her keys, and so Jisoo set off without a clear destination in her head. She walked through the park and without even thinking, got on the metro without checking where it was headed. Even though her conscious mind was pissed and very much out of sync with the real world, it seemed that her subconscious was very much paying attention – before long, she found herself at a familiar station, and got off, appearing above ground just a short walking distance from the Brooklyn Bridge.

She was just walking along, hands fisted in her pockets, without aim. There weren't many people around, despite it being a pretty day – a few children were playing at the playground nearby, and there were a few joggers running along the paths, but overall, it was lonely and quiet.

Well, as quiet as Brooklyn could get, really.

She wasn't paying much attention – there were too many thoughts running through her head, and she really should've been sitting down. But that fact became even more evident when her foot caught on something, and the next second Jisoo was falling, just barely having enough time to yank her hands out of her pockets to shield her face as she fell to the ground. She hissed in pain when her right hand scraped along the gravel path, ripping away skin and burning with pain. She got up as quick as she could, embarrassed as one could be, and dusted herself off, ignoring the stinging pain on the side of her hand.

She didn't care much of it, and didn't even notice that blood seeped through the scrape – no, what Jisoo focused on was the fact that she felt like shit, the fact that she'd yelled at Jennie gnawing at her insides in the most awful of ways. She felt guilty and small and alone, and wanted to yell at something or everyone, and so she found her way to a bench and sat down to calm herself down.

Lisa made a well-educated guess and found Jisoo on her first try, seated on a bench in the Brooklyn Bridge Park, her brown eyes fixed on the water before her and looking stormy as ever. But it wasn't anger that was making them so dark and tumultuous; no, as Lisa came nearer, she saw that it was sorrow, exhaustion, and guilt, all three emotions practically emanating through from Jisoo's being. She sat down beside her on the bench, and waited for Jisoo to come out of her shell.

"Jennie and I fought."

"I know."

Jisoo sighed. "Is she okay?"

"She wants you to come home."

"I...I don't know, Lisa."

"Know what?"

"I don't know what I'll say to her."

"Are you still mad?"

"No."

"Then it'll be fine."

Lisa glanced sideways at Jisoo and saw something she'd only seen a few times before – Jisoo was fighting back tears, real tears, focusing so hard on keeping composed that her hands, gripping the edge of her seat, were entirely white.

"Jisoo..."

Jisoo shook her head and buried her face in her hands, slowly breaking down right before Lisa's eyes. Lisa sighed and placed a hand on Jisoo's back, trying to find comforting words to say to her as Jisoo fought hard to not cry.

"I'm just so tired of worrying all the time," Jisoo muttered, "I'm exhausted."

"Jennie is too."

"But she- she doesn't even seem to care! And that just worries me more, because it just feels like she wants them to ruin us- to ruin her, she's letting it happen and I just..."