Chapter 61

Jennie hurried her way through her remaining work for the day, and finished at just five p.m. Taeyeon was very pleased with her work, and clapped her on the back before reminding her that they should discuss the move to San Francisco more after the weekend. Jennie smiled, and nodded, and then hurried into the elevator, itching to get home to Jisoo.

She'd made it about ten steps from the door when she was stopped by a hand grabbing her arm. She whirled around to find herself face to face with the one person she really did not want to see, and froze immediately.

"Get off of me," she hissed, shaking the hand off of her. "Leave me be."

Her uncle did no such thing, but he did let go of her hand. People passed them on both sides, and Jennie realized quickly that he'd planned this – he had probably been waiting for her, preying on her like she was something to pounce on, and the fact that he'd had the nerve to touch her angered her most of all.

"I won't bother you for long, Ruby Jane," Seungri said calmly. "I enjoy this as much as you do."

"Really? I'd think you loved being your brother's messenger."

"Had you not made it so that they had no legal right to have any contact with you, I would not be here."

Jennie glared at him. "Do they not understand that I do not want any contact with them?"

Seungri did not appear phased at the angry tone of Jennie's voice. Of course he wasn't – he was the most stoic of them all, apparently impervious to any emotions whatsoever. It was no surprise that he had never married, or sustained any friendly relationships with anyone. Even his relationship to his brother and his family was strictly business, and in his work as a priest he was strict and never faltered. He never made mistakes. He never wasted words. What he said he believed was not only true but law – he believed he knew what God wanted, he lived as though he were the reincarnation of His word, and never wasted an opportunity to remind a sinner of their sinful ways.

"They are your family, Ruby Jane. Your folly has lasted long enough."

"My life is not a folly."

"That may be what you see now, but I'm here to remind you of what your life will eventually lead to."

"What, you're going to take me on a day trip to Hell?"

"No. Take this."

He offered Jennie a piece of paper, but Jennie made no move to take it.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Take it."

"Not until you tell me what it is."

"It is an address."

"Of what?"

"Of your past...love."

Jennie froze. "What?"

"Nayeon, that was her name, right?"

Jennie snatched the paper from him and glared. "You have no right to speak her name."

"You might want to visit."

"And why would I want that?"

"It's a long-term care facility," Seungri said, almost aloof in his tone. "She is not well."

"Why would my parents care about her?"

"Go and visit her. She misses you, I'm sure."

Jennie clenched her jaw and glared daggers at her uncle. "Leave me alone."

She was surprised that he turned on his heel and left, just like that, leaving her standing amidst a mass of people returning home with a paper in her hand.