Chapter 68

The car picked Jennie up at quarter past midday the next day. Jisoo came along, not by Jennie's invitation but because of her own choosing – she didn't really feel like letting Jennie go alone, especially when she knew there'd be reporters and uncomfortable questions about her parents to expect. Jennie needed that support.

Jennie wore her blazer and skirt, the same ones she'd worn to court, and they both had their own respective flashbacks to that time of anxiety. While their situation was of course infinitely better now than what it had been, there was still that air of anxiety that they were yet to clear.

Jisoo worried that the anxiety would never truly go away.

Jennie worried the anxiety would only find more plausible causes to live on in their lives.

But they got out of their apartment and climbed into the car together, and Jisoo held Jennie's hand the whole way to the police station.

"We'll be fine," she muttered. "You'll be just fine."

Jennie nodded, though her jaw was clenched to signal that she was still relatively stressed. "I'd really rather not be doing this."

"Think of it this way. By doing this, you're helping your parents be put away in prison. Maybe even for life."

"That'd be the dream," Jennie hummed. "Them, gone forever."

"Let's make it a reality."

"That's up to the judge, and the DA-"

Jisoo laughed. "I know, I know. I didn't mean it literally."

"Right."

They arrived at the police station, and upon seeing the small crowd of reporters waiting outside, Jennie tensed up. The instant the doors were opened, there was a swarm of reporters around them, flashing lights and microphones shoved in their faces and cameras watching their every move as they tried to push their way through to the door.

"Miss Kim, how are you involved with this?"

"Miss Kim, were you aware of your parents' illegal activities?"

"Miss Kim, what did you think when you-"

Jennie drowned out the questions and clung to Jisoo's hand almost desperately as she pushed through the crowd and got to the door. Some kindly soul opened it for her, and she dragged herself and Jisoo inside, the silence provided by the walls around them setting her panic back down again.

"Jesus," Jisoo muttered, "They're brutal. You okay?"

Jennie nodded. "I'm fine."

"You're really pale. You sure you're fine?"

Jennie took a deep breath and shook her head to clear her mind. "Yeah, yeah. Just a little shaken. There were so many of them."

"You sure you can do this now?"

"I'm here, aren't I? Might as well get this over with."

Jisoo nodded, and followed along as Jennie went over to the desk to announce her arrival. When a while later a few detectives came over to greet her, Jisoo was shown to a corner with a few seats and a TV, showing the news on an endless loop with the volume down too low and the remote nowhere to be seen.

She waited patiently, flipping through the magazines of the waiting area over and over again for what ended up being almost an hour and a half, until finally Jennie emerged from a room, looking as exhausted as ever. Jisoo stood up and went over to greet her, and smiled at the detectives who came in after her.

"Um, excuse me, Miss Kim?"

Both Jennie and Jisoo looked at the detectives expectantly, and the one who'd spoken, an Agent Rizzi, realized her mistake a little while later. "Right, sorry, Jisoo Kim, I mean- could we ask you a few questions? We just want to be thorough with the investigation."