Chapter 73

"Jennie, you need to wake up. Now."

Jennie groaned and swatted at Jisoo's hand. "Five more minutes."

"Jennie, I know it's really early, but you need to take this phone call."

Jennie, still yet to open her eyes, reached over with her hand and took the phone that Jisoo was offering her.

"This is Jennie Kim," she said, with no hesitation in her voice when she said her last name. It'd taken her a few months to get used to it, but now she truly felt like it was her name.

"We are so sorry to deliver you this news, Miss Kim, but your uncle, Seungri Kwon, passed away this morning."

"What!?" Jennie's eyes burst open then, and Jisoo jumped in surprise. "What happened to him?"

"He was attacked, ma'am, in the yard late yesterday afternoon during outing. He sustained severe internal injuries, and passed away this morning about an hour ago."

Jennie didn't quite know what to say. "I see."

"Our condolences. Since his brother, your father, is in solitary, I'm afraid the funeral arrangements fall to you. You can, of course, opt for us to arrange it, if you'd prefer-"

"Um, I'll arrange it," Jennie muttered. "Who do I contact about his...remains?"

"You're welcome to contact the detention center directly. We offer our sincerest condolences."

Jennie sighed. "Well, thank you."

She hung up then, and set the phone down, a look of shock on her face.

"Remains?" Jisoo asked. "What-"

"Seungri is dead," Jennie said quietly. "Attacked."

"Holy shit."

"I know."

"And I went and said I'd arrange for the funeral."

Jisoo sighed and moved in closer. "You really don't have to."

"No, of course not. I'll have some of dad's employees take care of it, I want nothing to do with him."

"Are you okay?"

Jennie let out a laugh. "Jisoo, I never cared for him in my life. Yes, it's a sad feat, but honestly, he had this coming. I'm not surprised he got beat up, though that he passed from it is a little unexpected, it's not shocking."

"So you're okay?"

"Yes."

"Permission to make jokes about this?"

"Yes."

Jisoo opened her mouth, tried to think of a joke, but it was too early. "I'm too sleepy. It's like five in the morning. I'll think of one later."

"Why were you awake anyway?"

"Jennie, your phone rang for ages until I finally answered. You sleep like a damn rock."

"That's true."

"Now lie down and let me sleep again," Jisoo muttered, "We have packing to do tomorrow. Well, I do. You get to go down to Sing Sing for a delightful visit."

Jennie grimaced. "I don't want to."

"You don't have to."

"They requested it. I don't know why, but I guess it's to yell at me once more before they're put away for life. Or to beg me to try and help them."

"Nevertheless, you don't have to visit."

"One last time. I'll bring a copy of the New Yorker, and be strong. I'm not going to cower."