Chapter 74

Bogum had reserved the Ark for their farewell party, for the whole day, to be exact – everyone showed up at the bar around three in the afternoon, their party clothes in their bags and all prepared to help set up the dinner. The tables in the bar were round and small, but they were lined up in one big row, so that everyone would sit across from someone. There was to be ten people at dinner altogether – in addition to Chanyeol and Suho joining the normal crew, Dara and uncle Taeyang had come to New York for that special day. They were only to remain for the dinner, and not for the after-party – though there'd only be eight people at said party, it was sure to get rowdy, what with Lisa and Chanyeol and Irene all in one small space with unlimited alcohol and a great audio system.

Chanyeol, Bogum and Jennie moved into the kitchen to cook the dinner itself, while Suho set up the snacks and desserts table; most of the foods on offer were from his bakery, and nobody complained. His pastries, sweet and savory, were the absolute best.

"Hey, no pre-gaming with the foods," Suho snapped, smacking Lisa's hand away from the cupcakes. "There'll be plenty to go around once we get started."

"But I'm hungry now."

"Too bad."

Lisa huffed and moved back over to help Irene move a table into place. Chaeyoung and Jisoo were setting the table, Chaeyoung with the plates and Jisoo following with the utensils.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Chaeyoung asked Jisoo once they'd finished folding the napkins.

"Uh, yeah. Sure."

They moved out into the back, to the room full of ciders and kegs of beer, and Jisoo eyed Chaeyoung suspiciously. Though she'd become friends with her in the past months, she was yet to quite figure how to read her – even now, with a slight smile playing in her expression, Jisoo felt a little off.

"I know you and Jennie are both nervous about the move," Chaeyoung started, leaning on a shelf and crossing her arms. "But I want to talk about Jennie."

"Okay."

"Make sure she makes friends, okay? She's not very good with...well, she doesn't even notice when she needs social contact. But you see how she's around us, when there's lots of us and we're having fun – she lights up."

"Yeah, I've noticed."

"But this'll be a new place, so she'll probably retreat to her 'focus on work, relax at home' routine that she's been doing for years. Drag her out. She'll complain, but you can't be her only friend in San Francisco. It's not healthy for either of you."

Jisoo nodded, and smiled. "I know."

"Good," Chaeyoung said, returning her smile. "You two will be fine. Just remember – space is good. You find your own circle of friends, and push Jennie to find hers. I don't want to see you two getting on each other's nerves and this....you two imploding on one another."

"That's sweet, though you still managed to make it sound like a threat."

"That's my style, I suppose."

At that moment, Lisa burst in with Irene, and looked from Chaeyoung to Jisoo in confusion. "What's this secret meeting?"

"Nothing," Chaeyoung and Jisoo said at the same time.

"You best not be messing with my woman," Lisa tutted, tapping Jisoo's nose as she walked past her to get the wine they'd been sent to retrieve. "Or I'll have to kill you."

"Lisa, don't be stupid, Jisoo wouldn't cheat on Jennie for the world. Pretty sure they're soulmates," Irene laughed. "Now come on, let's leave these two conspirers to it."