Chapter Fifty-Five

December 21st, 2019

Zaivinth

I stood, bags under my eyes, looking down at my mate who was set in a bed in the left wing of our castle. I couldn't stay on the field, I was mentally unstable, Xion is here helping me cope.

I still couldn't believe that she was gone, my heart quivered at the thought. Are you still there? I grabbed at the golden string connecting us together. Though the second my mind wrapped around it, it faded into nothing.

We were preparing for her funeral, she had died five days ago, and I haven't done anything but mourn and pray. Xion is trying to get me to sleep, but I just can't, it's like sleep isn't a concept to me anymore.

"Zaivinth," Xion our a gentle hand on my shoulder. I flinched away, and got closer to my mate. "Zaivinth, as your friend, I need you to know I'm here for you. We are all sad, though you are not alone."

Though I am alone. I'm completely alone now. I could be in a room filled to the brim with people, though without the love of my life with me, I would feel so alone. I just needed to die. Die and go see her on the other side, if there is an other side.

"Should I bring food to you, you haven't eaten anything," I looked over to my friend who held unlimited amounts of pain within his eyes. His eyes had circles under them.

I hear the Crow King, the grandson of the King of Crows of my mother's book, was being merciless on the battlefront. His kills dripping into the hundreds, and soon to be in the thousands, and he is doing it with his army of assassins.

"I need you to do something for me." I flicked my eyes to Xion's, it was the first words that I had spoken to him. My words croaked out, my voice sore from sobbing.

His eyes lit up, "what? What do you want me to do?" He jumped at the opportunity to help me.

"I need you to grab a book for me."

"Get out of my way!" I heard from outside of the room. "Move aside!" Then the door flew open, slamming against the wall. I shot from where I was sitting and growled. I closed the book that I was reading to Sheila and hugged it close to my chest.

It was Weni, Sheila's mentor. She looked disheveled though I probably looked worse. I guarded her bed, "why are you yelling in a castle that's mourning?" I growled out, I liked Weni, though her urgency had me on edge. Everything had me on edge. I was always, constantly, on edge.

"I'm here to bring her back," in her hands was a black box, sealed tight with numerous locks and keyholes. I raised an eyebrow, hope floating through me.

"H-how?" I stumbled over my words. My guard melted as I stepped away from the bed. I would do anything to bring her back. I didn't think it was an option till now.

Then two other women ran into the room. "You didn't remove any organs right?!" One of them shouted and I tensed.

"Wha—"

"Shut up, I'm concentrating." Weni snapped as she pulled the key out from around her neck. It was a golden key, though it had an aura around it that made it seem that it was more than an average house key.

She shoved the key into the locks. All of them magically opening. "Who are you? Why are you here?"

One of them rolled their eyes, "if we told you, you wouldn't believe us."

"Shut up!" Shouted Weni from the other side of the bed. She was sitting on the side, opening the black box. I drew in a breath, I had no idea what was inside of it.