14.1- The Mystery of Souls and Stones

Now that we had all the keys, we decided to spend the time in someone's home than risk an ambush. Tsubasa's was the closest from where we were. The day was still brightening, and I hoped to snag a nap after lunch.

Where Ahio's side of town held increasingly spacious houses and well-kept gardens, here were cottages with stables, untidy pastures and the occasional glimpse of the forest beyond Heikisato. If I squinted, I could see little white flecks at the edge of the forest— the hundred-meter stones. I wondered if anyone actually fought for the keys so far away, even though we were allowed to. The nearest hospital would be half an hour away, in case anyone got serious injuries.

Tsubasa's home was a blue, two-storey building full of sloping gables, little arched windows and chimneys aplenty. It looked like one of those rustic houses in snow globes or the ones in the children's books I'd read as a toddler. Only an overgrown hedge separated it from the road.

'M-mum, ma, I'm h-home!' He said as he ushered us through the doorway.

The inside was just as cosy as I'd imagined. Flower-patterned curtains were drawn to allow sunlight to bathe the room in a warm glow. A fluffy beige carpet covered the floor, its edges a little worn out, and lots of scenic pictures adorned the walls. Two older ladies, perhaps in their fifties, lounged on a couple of rocking chairs by the windows.

Tsubasa introduced them as his mothers; Mrs Himari, a broad-set lady with salt and pepper hair who was finally happy to meet 'Tsubasa's little friends!'; and Mrs Sana, a tall woman with frizzy curls who hugged us tighter than Cho ever did.

After a hearty lunch of rice noodles and various side dishes, we split up. Kei sauntered off to the backyard to work out, and Daisuke rushed to the library as soon as Tsubasa mentioned his mum had one. I was tempted to follow, but there was something else I'd wanted to see-- the horses. I'd always loved animals, but my parents had never let me have pets. Mum considered them a waste a time, and Dad thought they were a waste of money. This was, perhaps, the one thing they agreed on.

Tayo on his shoulder, Tsubasa led me to the stables.

An earthy smell hit me as we entered the wood-panelled building. Bits of hay were littered on the ground and several hoof prints were faintly visible on the hard soil. A few horses gazed out at us over their gates, neighing as we entered. I bounced on my heels and a smile burst out of me. This reminded me of the trip to France we took as a part of my dad's business trip when I was eight. The horses had been a welcome relief after listening to my squabbling parents all day.

I reached out a hand to pet the nearest one, a beautiful palomino with a fluffy white mane and inquisitive blue eyes, but drew it back as the equine jerked its head forward.

'D-don't worry.' said Tsubasa, stroking the horse's cheek. 'I'm k-keeping her c-calm.'

'Is someone there with you, Tsubasa?' said a male voice further in the stable. The door to the last enclosure was open, and a man stepped out, his brown bun of hair falling apart and sweat staining his clothes. He held a grooming brush in one hand and moved a straggling lock of hair away from his face with the other.

Is that his mentor? My heart rate picked up as I recalled what I knew about him. He's from outside the continent! I let out a silent prayer. Please Tsubasa, don't mention I'm not from Saishuu Riku.

'T-this is T-Tahro. He's my f-friend' Tsubasa said with a smile. 'H-he's also f-from outs-side the c-continent, you kn-know?'

I stifled a groan of frustration.

'Is he now?' His mentor gave me a small smile. 'I'm Cesar Alvare, Tsubasa's mentor.' I gave him a nod. Hopefully, he won't ask me which country I'm actually from. But he turned back to Tsubasa, stretching his arms. 'Can you fetch me a glass of water? I've been grooming them all day, and Jun is still not done.'