twenty two

Marci's gaze was fixed on her lap, not paying much attention to Thaddeus Ross who stood before a table that seated the Avengers and herself. "Five years ago, I had a heart attack," he spoke, his raspy voice causing her head to rise. "I dropped right in the middle of back my swing," he acted out the golfing scene. "Turns out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something 40 years in the army never taught me: perspective." Those words hit Marci hard, she hadn't realized it before but she also had a life changing event happen that completely changed her perspective. These powers of hers were something that she hated about herself when they first manifested. But now she's learned to embrace them. She's learned to live with them. She's even learned to love them. They make her, her.

"The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives," he paused, she felt a 'but' statement coming, "but while a great many people see you are heroes, there are some who would prefer the world vigilantes." And there it is.

"And what word would you use Mr. Secretary?" Natasha said, her tone laced with an attitude.

"How about dangerous?" He suggested. Marci felt targeted. She was the only one here that was enhanced besides the young girl who she hadn't been introduced to yet. But Marci knew what Wanda could do, it was all over the news. Yet that word, dangerous, was something that Marci knew she was. Even if she didn't want to admit it they both were, unless they can control their powers all the time. Though that thought seemed unlikely no matter how much she wanted to be able to. "What do you call a group of US based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" Marci glanced around the room, everyone looked upset, for good reason too.

Secretary Ross stepped aside, clearing the view to the large screen that sat before them. "New York," the screen displayed news footage from the day the Chitauri invaded. A leviathan, terrified citizens, soldiers attempting to end the chaos, and the hulk smashing into buildings were the images displayed on the screen. But within seconds the video ended, panning to a photo of a map.

Marci swallowed harshly, she knew what event happened next. "Washington D.C.," Marci felt her stomach drop as the first imagine to appear on the screen was her flaming figure flying above a group of screaming citizens. Marci gasped, quickly pulling her hand to her mouth to conceal the sound. The Shield building burning and hellicarriers falling into the Potomac graced the screen next. Sam, who was seated next to her, grabbed it free hand. She looked to him, but his eyes were in his lap.

"Sokovia," buildings collapsing, people running for their lives, and the entire city floating into the sky. Marci couldn't believe it, she had heard stories but she felt that it was better to not know. That ended now. "Lagos," burning buildings accompanied with emergency sirens and the body of a young women whose life ended to soon. Marci couldn't watch anymore, apparently she wasn't the only one.

"Okay," Steve broke the silence, "that's enough."

Marci watched as the Secretary nodded and his assistant turned off the screen. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution," he placed a hefty looking document on the table. Sliding it to Wanda first, who quickly glanced at it before sliding it to another person with a face unfamiliar that was unfamiliar to Marci. She wasn't certain, but she assumed that to be James Rhodes.