Part 31

I looked around for someone to go with, like Thomas or Edward, but found they were already taken.
Harriet had snatched up Edward and Lexi already was running around with Thomas beside her.

"Miss, do you need a partner?"

I turned to a guard who was offering his hand and I smiled, he looked friendly enough.

"She's already got a partner."

The guard retracted his arm and backed off as I felt an arm land on my shoulder, and looked behind me to see Prince Archie grinning down at me.

The guard who had offered quickly scurried away, seemingly scared of the prince.

"Prince Archie." I greeted, turning to face him and gave him curtsey, out of basic courtesy, my gown puffing out. He smirked and bowed in return, "We meet again gorgeous." He said confidently.
I rolled my eyes and he put a hand on my waist to guide me over to a free space in the room.

I glared at his hand on me but he didn't budge, leaving it to rest there and burn a hole through my skin.

"Before we begin we will have a few demonstrations. First, the opening dance to any ball."

Apollo motioned as a couple who appeared to be dance instructors took the stage and began showing a dance that they expertly executed.

I tried to remember the steps and turns, but it looked rather complicated.

After the short tutorial dance, Apollo came back to the center and clapped to get all the selected girls attentions.

"Does anyone here already know how to dance? Please, anybody, I'd like another demonstration." Apollo the instructor asked, and I cowered away from his gaze to avoid being picked on.

But unfortunately Archie smugly raises his hand, smirking over at me as I frown at him.

The instructor grinned happily, "Please, go ahead. Music please." He clapped his hands and music began to play.

Archie stepped boldly into the dance area in the middle of all the couples and extended his hand out to me, "My Lady."

The crowd dispersed around me as we stepped out into the center circle.

I placed a hand in his and put the other on his shoulder, following his lead in the dance since I wasn't as confident.

Soon I fell in to a rhythm with the steps, continuing to copy the prince and listen to the music.

But Archie distracts me from the dancing as he leans in and whispers, "I'd like you to help me Miss Isabelle, to know what's happening in this selection."

It took me by surprise, "What is it you believe I could tell you that you wouldn't know?"

"Well my cousin seems fond of you so far."

I roll my eyes at his assumption, "He's fond of a lot of the girls."

Archie grins, "And you've known him only a few weeks, yet you're already jealous."

I felt embarrassment crawl up my cheeks.

"I'm not interested in having you ridicule me, your highness."

Then he laughs, spinning me out as the music was leading up to the end, then twirling me back in.

"It was never my intention." He adds as the song finishes, "I only want us to be friends."

I look at him questioningly as we move away from one another. It's only now that I realise we're still in the crowded dancing room where everyone's been watching us.