The Beginning of the End

Tim sprinted away from Bruce's office, determination set in his cerulean eyes. Once he reached the cave, he began barking orders to his brothers, ordering them to suit up. Neither of his brothers missed the panic evident in his voice. Tim was busy searching for an old Robin suit for Damian when Dick neared him, laying a hand on his shoulder.

"Tim, what is it?"

"It's begun... The invasion has begun."

***

Damian watched from his bedroom window. He watched as the sky turned black and the sun became the color of crimson. He wasn't afraid, at least, he didn't think he was; fear was such a new feeling to him, he wasn't entirely sure he understood it.

Alfred entered his room without announcing himself a moment later. He was breathless as though he'd been running.

"Master Damian, come quickly, Sir."

Damian moved away from the window, jumping off the window sill and made his way to the butler.

"Alfred, what's happening?" Damian asked, confusion overcoming him.

Alfred managed to catch his breath before he quickly ushered the boy out of the room, overlooking the fact that Damian had just addressed him by his first name for the first time.

"No time to explain, Sir. You need to get down to the Batcave now."

***

Commissioner Jim Gordan sat in his office at the GCPD, checking over his files for the prisoners currently being transported to Arkham Asylum. He sighed heavily, remembering the losses they received trying to round up those criminals.

He was about to take a break when he heard a high pitched scream coming from outside of his office. Jim hurried out into the main lobby of the GCPD, pushing past the commotion to make his way to the window. What he saw terrified him.

Immediately, people began screaming and running. The officers tried their best to keep everyone calm, but they were just as terrified. Many went outside, guns raised to the sky, but they would never stop what was coming.

Jim ran to the roof of the GCPD just as the sun began to change color, painting an apocalyptic glow upon its black canvas.

One by one, the dazzling lights of Gotham City cut off, leaving everyone in complete darkness. He tried his luck with the Bat-signal, thankfully, it still worked. It lit up the dark sky, much brighter than usual.

Jim swallowed the lump that formed in his throat. He didn't know what was happening. Not a single one of Gotham's citizens knew what was happening.

The ground began to shake violently. Was this the end of the world? Jim thought, looking up to the sky once again. The darkness crept closer, nothing could be seen except for the flaming sun. The only light, in the whole city, was the Bat-signal.

The Bat-signal. What was once something that instilled fear into Gotham's people, was now their only glimmer of hope.

***

As the ground shook and the city lost its light, fear began to seep into the minds of every person, letting it take over.

They began to flee.

Or hide.

Or riot.

Nobody knew what was happening.

It was fast and unexpected.