"aren't we crazy for this?"

27: aren't we crazy for this?

"Do you understand any of this?" Calum looked down at his chemistry book in bewilderment and I laughed to myself at his state

"Do you understand any of this?" Calum looked down at his chemistry book in bewilderment and I laughed to myself at his state. We had been studying for maybe ten minutes inside of a small coffee shop that I had never been to before.

"Yes," I told him, nodding my head. "At least, I sort of do. I understand it enough. What're you having problems with?"

"Fuck, you're gonna realize how stupid I am."

"Calum, stop it," I said, rolling my eyes as I scooted my chair closer to his. "Is it the math?" I glanced up from his book to see a smile on his face and I sent him a questioning look.

"I understand it," he told me, completely confusing me. "I just wanted you to be a little closer."

"Oh my god," I said, laughing at him as I started to move my chair back. Calum placed his hand on my arm, causing me to stop. "What, mister?"

"As soon as you move away again, I won't understand any of it."

"You are a piece of work," I told him, leaning forward as I brought my face closer to his. He smiled cutely and pecked my lips. I decided to stay where I was, just to please him for awhile, and I could tell he appreciated it. We read in silence for a couple moments before Calum spoke.

"You're good at math?"

"I understand it," I told him, shrugging my shoulders. I got tripped up in math like any normal person, but once I understood something and it had clicked, it didn't leave me. "Why?"

"Never mind—forget it," Calum said, quickly ending the small conversation.

"Okay..." My eyes slowly looked away from his and back down to my chemistry book. I was curious as to why he had asked, but I didn't want to push the subject if he didn't want to talk about it.

"I forgot Luke has Abbie... is all," Calum added, gaining my attention again. "Luke's been struggling with something math related... but I'm sure he'll ask Abbie to help him."

"Abbie hates math," I told Calum, remembering that I had helped her through all of Algebra. "If Luke needs help, I'm willing... if that's what you're trying to ask."

"He gets embarrassed about it with us... I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't want us knowing he cares about his grades, or that he finds it embarrassing that we might be smarter than him. But maybe I could send him your way?"

"That's fine," I told Calum, nodding as I agreed with his request. "Did you think I was going to say no?"

"Well... I don't think it would be that crazy to assume," Calum spoke as he stared down at his book; his voice was quieter and it was almost as if he didn't want to say what he was thinking.

"Why?" I asked him, becoming much too curious to care that he might not want to get into this conversation.

"We're just not people you'd do something for... usually," Calum said, reminding me of my feelings towards his friends. "And you sort of hated Luke until recently."