Chapter 34: Agreement

"Pax, wait!" Audra said, as I was about to walk away from the group, a few minutes after my proposal.

Seeing me not turning to her, Audra rushed to my side, caught my hand instead. "I said wait, Pax. Just wait."

I stopped walking. Behind us, the boys were beginning to arrange the camp, trying to destroy all the evidence that we were here in the first place, before we leave.

But going in front of me now, Audra, face pleading, didn't remove her hand from mine.

"It's not that I don't support your decisions," she began.

"Then what?" I said. "I thought you'd be more agreeable with me, but you just said no. Flat out."

A few minutes ago, when I placed my hand in the middle of the group to garner support, none had participated, especially Audra and Hanz.

I might have expected it from other people. But Audra? Surely, she knew why I wanted to do this. Surely, she of all people would understand.

"Don't be mad," she begged.

"I'm not."

She squeezed my hand, shook her head. "You don't understand. At this point. . . At this point, you're the only I have, Pax."

"You have Neil," I reasoned, though I immediately knew that was a lie. With me and her it was different. With me. . .

I could see Audra swallowing hard as our eyes met. A resolve was forming on her face, while I tried not to shy away. Why? For the first time ever, I was willing to make a stand for myself, and I wanted her there to support my cause. Only, she didn't really listen. She probably thought me fighting Blackwell was stupid. After all, she said no.

"Pax," Audra said again. "Please. . . Don't you see? I had lied. I had kept many things. I had denied myself for the longest time from you because I wanted to protect you from me." She finally let go, bit her bottom lip. "And truthfully, this is the first time I'd ever been afraid. It's not even for me. What you're asking to do with Blackwell is suicide."

"It's not." I denied. "And nothing bad will happen to me."

Wrong. . . Both of us knew that me suggesting this was impossible. Especially alone. I was basically telling them that I would fight against a whole freaking army. I wouldn't win.

But I was not asking them to come with me, was I? I was only doing this to protect them. If all us kept running, one of these days, Blackwell would catch up to us, then what? He would 'cure' me. Do the same to Audra too. And I could not unlove her, no matter what.

As such, my hand went to Audra's cheek. She couldn't help but to close her eyes and lean onto me. Even when she looked like she didn't want to.

"I'll think of a way," I said firmly. "To save us. To free us without me giving up to them. It's either you're with me or not. You choose what happens."

Everything followed so quickly after that. Returning to the boys, they had already packed our bags, had erased the traces of us setting up camp.

But then, Neil, who was against me earlier, was now giving me a sly smile, was ruffling his hair as customary to him, his eyes flitting to Hanz before getting back at me. "You know what I realized these couple of minutes, Leighton? While we were fixing the camp?"

"What?" I said, barely looking at him.

"I just realized that I'd never had a boyfriend."

What?