Chapter 16: The Search for Kamino

(AN: Image is how I imagine Alana can see/feel Shmi in the Force later in this chapter.

ALSO! I have seen The Rise of Skywalker and OH. MY. GGGOOOOOOODDD. Please no posting spoilers in the comments, and I promise to remain spoiler-free for a month after release. Comment to me (no spoilers!) what you thought and enjoy this chapter! -Rach)

"Honey, someone here to see you! Jedi, by the looks of him!" A droid called from the front upon seeing Obi-Wan entering the room. Alana looked up at Obi-Wan in confusion. Apparently, this was a place he frequented.

"Obi-Wan!" A booming voice said, causing Alana to startle, seeing a giant Besalisk from behind a bar.

"Hello, Dex," Obi-Wan replied, smiling to see his friend.

"Take a seat, I'll be right with ya," the Besalisk said, turning to come out and greet his friend.

As the two turned to take a seat at a booth in the diner, the droid called out to them.

"You two wanna cup o' Jawa juice?"

"Oh yes, thank you," Obi-Wan said. Alana followed suit and nodded as she slid into the booth ahead of Obi-Wan.

"Who is this person? And how do you two know each other?" Alana asked quietly.

"Dexter Jettster. We met a long time ago when I was still a Padawan," Obi-Wan said. "He used to sell guns. Supplied me with a lot of information back then. A great friend, and very loyal." Before he could continue, he smiled and stood back up from the booth as Dex arrived and hugged Obi-Wan.

"Hey old buddy," Dex said, smiling as they embraced. He noticed Alana as he sat down and nodded to her. "Who's this? A new girlfriend?"

"Oh no, no, Dex," Obi-Wan said, flushing red just slightly. "She's another Jedi Knight, Alana Skywalker."

"Pleasure to meet you," Alana said, flashing Dex a brilliant smile.

"Oh no, no, pleasure is all mine, darling," he said. "Now, my friend, what can I do for ya?"

"Well," Obi-Wan said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the dart. He held it up to the light for Dex to see. "You can tell me what this is." He set it down on the table in front of them. Alana tensed slightly, her mistrust of non-Jedi evident, but Obi-Wan discreetly placed his hand on her leg, both calming her and making her cheeks flush a bright red. She avoided his eye contact as he kept his hand there.

"Well, whattaya know!" Dex exclaimed. "I ain't seen one of these since I was prospecting on Subterrel, beyond the Outer Rim!"

"Can you tell us where it came from?" Alana asked as the droid worker dropped off their drinks. Obi-Wan thanked her and took a sip of his drink as Dex continued.

"This baby belongs to them cloners," Dex said, nodding his head thoughtfully. "What you got here is a Kamino saberdart."

"I wonder why it didn't show up in the analysis archives," Obi-Wan wondered out loud, looking over at Alana and taking his hand off her leg as she relaxed.

"It's these funny little cuts on the side that give it away," Dex said, picking up the dart and turning it in his fingers. "Those analysis droids only focus on symbols. I should think you Jedi have more respect for the difference between knowledge and wisdom," Dex chuckled.

Alana noticed that Obi-Wan was going along with Dex and laughed slightly.

"Well if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?" Obi-Wan snarked back. Before picking up the dart. "Kamino. I'm not familiar with it. Is it in the Republic?"