Chapter 9

"We're leaving."

"What?" Rob whirled his head in my direction. "Right now?"

"Not right now." I rolled my eyes and turned back to the lower courtyard underneath us. "But soon."

The two of us were leaning against the railing of the upper courtyard, overlooking the smaller one down below.

"You should say your goodbyes to Judy and Vivian." I ignored his hard stare on my profile.

I knew my words came out of nowhere, however, Judy and I had already made our decision. It was time for us to leave.

"You're not going anywhere." I expected the words, but they came from a different direction and in a different voice than I predicted.

Rob and I both turned around to find Theo stalking across the courtyard. His usual nut eyes had a silver glint to them, which made me even more uneasy as he came to a screeching halt a step away from us.

"Leave." He didn't even glance in Rob's direction when he gave the order.

Rob hesitated for a moment before sending me a pointed look. He then made his way inside the castle.

The moment we were alone in the upper courtyard, I narrowed my eyes at Theo. "Are you drunk?"

After all, the last time I was faced with him he'd been intoxicated and twisting his tongue with no consideration of my "human" nature.

"No." This time he at least didn't reek of alcohol. "I've decided to take your advice. I'm done hating humans and listening to my brother. Which means you aren't going anywhere. From now on I'm only following the path the Moon Goddess set out for me."

"Good for you." I inwardly cringed at his still loose tongue. I mean, what the hell was he thinking mentioning the Moon Goddess in the presence of a "human".

I opened my mouth to tell him I was leaving when he diminished the last step between us. The unexpected action had me squeezing my back against the stone railing behind me. He rested his hands on either side of me, trapping me in the cage formed by his arms and body.

"I know this is going to be hard to believe, but—"

I blinked at his words, unable to believe what was going on. Was the idiot really going to tell me that he was a werewolf? Had he completely lost his mind?

As if sensing his mistake, he snapped his lips shut. But he still didn't move away from me. Instead, he turned his head left and I instinctively followed his gaze.

Up the staircase walked Yasin and Elena who froze the moment their eyes landed on us. While Elena was staring at us with a slack open mouth, Yasin was staring daggers at Theo.

For a string of heartbeats, none of us moved.

"There's a meeting waiting for you." Yasin didn't even glance in my direction as he walked up the remaining two stairs. He only had eyes for his older brother.

Theo narrowed his eyes at him before finally removing his arms from either side of me. Instead of moving further away, however, he turned his shining eyes back on me. "You aren't allowed to leave the castle. I'll come to get you once the meeting is over." He didn't even give me a chance to deny his order before he stormed off across the courtyard.

I expected Yasin and Elena to follow him, but the two remained rooted to their spots.

"You might have fooled my brother, but I know who you really are." For some reason Yasin's pitch-black eyes didn't intimidate me as much Theo's shining ones. "You're nothing but dirt underneath our feet. You will never be a part of our world."