Chapter 55: Well, that's that.

A/N: apologies for the sparse updates. I'm clocking in at a chapter a week I think. This is for missing last week's update.

---------------------
"The Emperor is dead?"

"The news came so suddenly, we all thought it was false news!"

"Nonsense! I heard it from my uncle who works at the palace. It's true!"

"Ah then who is the new Emperor??"

"The new Emperor is ..."

The words trailed as a shuffling figure weaved through the crowds.

It was all everyone could whisper about at the capital.

Once their ruler changed, it would only slight inconvenience to the people of Da Li. One can even live their lives through the reign of three different emperors if the in-fighting was tough. The lives of normal citizens were after all very different from families of nobles and officials.

However, what caught everyone by surprise was the announcement of the new Emperor.

The crowds had increased quite a bit, causing the roads to be congested with people. Yet the sea of people knew someone important would pass through soon.

And finally, the people would meet their new Emperor as he make his first rounds.

The jostling increased and the hooded figure cursed quietly before squeezing past several ample-sized aunties from the market.

Before the figure could escape the clutches of the crowd, festive music began.

Immediately the crowd kowtowed, everyone staring at the floor.

As the huge sedan manned by strong men was carried through, the head guard realised that one person remained standing.

Immediately, guards surrounded the figure as the Emperor's sedan was cordoned off by heavily armed men.

Before the figure could be forced to kneel upon the floor, the head guard was stopped by his superior.

Keeping her head proudly up, Su Chen ignored the head guard and his superior and greeted the new Emperor.

"Long live his Majesty! May his Majesty live for thousands of years."

Peals of laughter rang through the air before Su Chen was swept up onto the horse.

"Brother, is this the wife you are so proud of?"

The horse had drew nearer to the sedan so that the Emperor could speak with ease.

The entire troupe continued to move on as if they had made a planned pitstop and nothing was unusual. Festive music and drums rang again as the entire party continued its journeh to the palace.

"I'm not too sure. My wife is usually slightly more put-together than this."

A deep voice resounded before peals of laughter continued to ring through the air.

"I apologise Your Majesty. Though it is your first day to tour the capitol, I am but a poor hen-pecked husband who needs to attend to his fearsome wif- Ufff!!!"

The young Emperor laughed joyously again.

With bright eyes that shined, the new Emperor, formerly the Twelfth Prince, was greatly amused seeing his elder brother being viciously pinched by his "wife".

As the second son of the former Empress and the son chosen in the late Emperor's last edict, Emperor Xiong Di was now accepted by most ministers as the true heir to the throne.

The Crown Prince, Sun Rui had staged a vicious rebellion when the edict was announced. Had it not been for the assistance of the usually reticent jianghu to quell the rebellion, the Emperor seated at the sedan would be someone different.

Despite being only 14, Emperor Xiong Di has shown a suprising aptitude as a wise and caring ruler in the past week. Throughout his rule, he continued to introduce groundbreaking policies that seeked to unite the imperialist nations with the jianghu factions and pushing for reforms to better the people's livelihood.

However, that was in the future.

For now...

"Elder Broth-- I mean. Alliance Sect Head. I-- Ahem. Zhen is deeply grateful for your assistance. You and your wife's assistance. For that, zhen owes you a great favour that can't be replaced."

Emperor Xiong Di/ He Chen smiled deeply as he sat absent mindedly upon the sedan.

"Your Majesty, it was this subject and subject's wife pleasure."

After bowing slightly, Shen Yi practically galloped and carried his wife away back home.

"Wife. I missed you."

His wife was quiet.

"I'll be honest. I really reaaaallly missed you."

Shen Yi held onto his wife closely.

Still, Su Chen remained quiet.

"Okay I'll be even more honest! I'll... I'll explain more about why Fairy Ruge is now my concubine!"