Arc One Ch. 25

The Desert Jewel pack couldn't be called the largest or strongest not even the most adept at ingenuity towards the resources in their surroundings, which were more sparse than usual in comparison to other packs. Though it'd held more demerits than the surrounding territories their pack's original Alpha that settled this place made full use of those unattractive qualities and to create the small neutral zone that it now became.

Stepping over the small bridge that connected the tiny island where the ancient tree containing the Tear of Sorrow fragment, Kira could now see what damage the inactive piece had wrought. Plagues of disease and sickness had ravaged the small pack making it hard to find more than a few wolves at any one time and even harder still for young pups and elderly wolves.

Arriving in front of a building slightly larger than the others Kira noticed that it was a private residence which doubled as a place of healing. Entering the open doorway a young man came into view wearing a plain off white colored shirt and brown pants. His sandy blond hair was neatly combed, no visible dirt could be seen on him and when he looked up the relation to her Aunt Ingrid became more noticeable the moment he smile.

"Hello there can I help you with something?" He greeted in a pleasant way that made him seem quite likeable.

"Maybe, I am here to deliver a letter on behalf of my Aunt Ingrid." She said reaching into one of the pouches hanging around her waist.

The young man thanked her for delivering the letter before running off into the back area of the house. Moments later he returned carrying a small bundle in his arms which was handed over to her. "These were treated personally by the Master." Kira showed a confused expression while she took the bundle. "It's a gift cousin Ingrid asked the Master to bestow for the next leg of your journey." The young man explained while showing a serious expression.

"Please give my thanks to the Master for such a thoughtful gift." She said while adjusting the bundle in her arms.

.

.

.

Cheering could be heard as two young wolves circled each other, both males were covered in minor cuts and bruises. Sweat soaked hair and dirt covered their bodies but neither young man was willing to back down. "You're embarrassing yourself by dragging this out Marcus, give up now." The larger of the two commanded.

Smiling faintly at the small trick Jackson tired pulling Marcus came to a standstill appearing as if struggling for a moment. Without hesitation Jackson took the opening to attack while holding nothing back. The crowd quieted watching as he closed the distance between himself and the now distracted Marcus. Though the expected and sickening crack didn't come, instead a yelp of surprise came from Jackson as Marcus pinned him to the ground.

"Enough; get back to your drills!" A voice filled with authority ordered causing the spectating crowd to quickly dissolve.

The second in command comes over pulling Marcus off of Jackson who gave a sputter regaining his ability to breath. "Fucking hell you crazy bastard were you trying to kill me just now." Jackson complained rubbing at his sore throat while glaring at Marcus.

Giving a simple growl Marcus became quiet feeling the second in command tighten his grip further. "Keep your mouth shut mutt, Jackson your father wants to speak with you right now. You can go finish up with another twenty laps before dinner Marcus." The second in command said giving neither much room to protest.

Staring out over the blue flowers which gave the valley its name Alpha Blake didn't turn even as he heard his son arrive. "What have I told you about fight amongst pack members?" He asked his son who came up beside him.

Glaring out at the flower field Jackson scoffed. "It wasn't a fight amongst pack members he's a stray mutt who is a threat to the pack." He grumbled through gritted teeth.

Alpha Blake's dark blue eyes filled with fury turned on his son. "You're telling me what you were doing just now wasn't a fight between pack members? That stray mutt is starting to look better and better for the future position of Alpha. Unlike you the stray is actually well like by a majority of the pack." By the end he seemed to lose that fire while taking in his son's oblivious face that showed his inability to fully comprehend the underlying meaning to his words.

"By birthright that position is mine!" Jackson growled proudly in an unflinching manner towards his own father and alpha. Without warning Alpha Blake moved grabbing his own son by the throat and lifting him up into the air. He showed no signs of struggle as Jackson tried to claw the iron grasp away while kicking out futilely in an attempt at freeing himself. "That birthright you claim with such pride is dependent on me pup." Beneath his grip Blake could feel the first signs of a shift coming on. Squeezing a bit tighter the incomplete wolf form was stopped as a sneer came over his normally pleasant features. "Even your half-baked will is so easily crushed and you expect others to follow you? I'd rather see your sister carry on our family bloodline."

Going still Jackson couldn't believe what he had heard, for his sister to be the one considered after being a disappointment for nearly failing to go through her first transformation before their packs cut off age. His still form was dropped casually by his father who frowned at him from above. "You have one last chance to prove to me that you aren't completely worthless." Alpha Blake's chilling voice came from above.

Jackson's pale blue gaze hardened while staring up at his father's face that didn't show much emotion. "What would you have me do to prove myself...Alpha Blake?" This man before him wasn't his father but their pack leader giving an order that must be obeyed to the best of his ability.

"Your actions have brought shame to the Broken Tooth bloodline; I want you to restore the family honor in the eyes of the pack and restore their faith in our word." Hearing these words Jackson flinched understanding exactly what had been referred to and dropped his head in shame. "If you can't do something so simple this pack doesn't need you, are my words clear."

"Yes...Alpha Blake." He bit out through a clenched jaw as he realized in this moment just how expendable his existence really currently was to his father.