Chapter 4: Ally or Nemesis?

You waited anxiously for the day to end, excited to hang out with your new friends after school. Once the bell rang, you practically jumped from your seat. In your haste, you had accidentally bumped into Shinso. You apologized, smiling sheepishly. He smiled back. "It's fine, trust me." He said, making you breathe a sigh of relief. 

As the two of you were about to leave, Kaminari showed up. "Hey, don't forget about me!" He joked. Or, at least, you thought he was joking. You giggled. "How could I ever forget you?" You rhetorically asked. Kaminari smiled, happy to hear you say that. Unfortunately, you didn't know that all you had just done was helped to fuel the fire that was their obsession for you.

"Well then, now that we have our third party member, why don't we get out of here?" Shinso proposed, placing his hands in his pockets. You smiled. "Good idea!" You replied. So, the three of you went to a nearby cafe. It was a cute and quaint little shop not too far away from the school.

Once the three of you arrived, Kaminari held the door open for you. You smiled and thanked him, stepping inside. After you did this, Shinso and Kaminari harshly glared at each other. "Let the games begin," Shinso muttered as he passed the blonde meme. Kaminari smirked. "Let the games begin," He repeated, stepping inside.

The door shut quietly behind the blonde boy as he sat down across from you. He had only sat there because Shinso had taken the seat next to you. The tired-looking boy smirked victoriously at Kaminari, showing off how close he was to you. The blonde boy would've scowled in return if you couldn't see him.

A waitress walked over, smiling. "What can I get for you three?" She asked kindly. You smiled in return. "I'll have a (F/D), please." You answered. She wrote it down on her notepad, looking to Shinso. "And you sir?" She inquired. He stretched, thinking for a second. "Long black, three shots." He plainly stated.

The waitress seemed concerned. "Sir, are you sure about that?" She asked. Shinso sighed. "Yes, I'm sure." He said, resting his head in his hand. She wrote it down, looking over to Kaminari. "And you?"  She asked, smiling. He thought for a moment. "Carmel frap, please!" He replied, not taking his eyes off of Shinso.

The waitress finished writing down Kaminari's order and left with a quick bow. "So, what do you guys want to talk about?" You asked, resting your head on your hand. Kaminari was fast to reply. "What's your favorite book?" He answered your question with a question, raising an eyebrow. This question made you think quite a bit.

"Actually, I don't think I have one. I've read (so much/so little) that it's hard to choose." You replied, rubbing the back of your neck. Kaminari shrugged. "Makes sense!" He said, smiling like an idiot. Shinso cleared his throat, reminding both of you that he was there. "Personally, I like poetry and philosophical stuff. You know, the types of things that make you question if you really are just living in a story." He answered.

For some reason, you felt unease at that statement. A bead of sweat went down the back of your neck. "L-Let's talk about something e-else..." You trailed off nervously. The two males decided it was for the best and just started talking about random things. After about an hour, the three of you were getting ready to leave.

Shinso was the first to pull out a card. "I'll pay." He offered, smirking. Kaminari glared at him slightly. "No. I'll pay." He said, slamming his credit card onto the table. Shinso cleared his throat again, eyeing Kaminari viciously. "I insist. Let me pay." He demanded, placing his credit card on top of Kaminari's. 

This went on for several minutes. Eventually, you got tired of this. You took your own card as well as the bill. "I'm paying, and that's final." You said, getting up and going to pay. The two males stared at each other, dumbfounded. "You idiot, you should have just let me pay," Shinso whispered harshly.

"And let you win? Never." Kaminari replied in a sort of whisper-shout, glaring firmly at the purple-haired boy. You slowly walked back over to the table, putting your card in your wallet. "Now that's settled, why don't we get out of here?" You offered, leaning slightly on the table. The two boys instantly agreed, both wanting more time with you and less with the other.

"(L/N), do you mind if I talk to Kaminari for a minute? Alone?" Shinso asked, seeming kind of suspicious. You ignored the instinct to say no. "Of course! I'll wait here." You replied, smiling. So, the purple-haired boy dragged the blonde meme to a secluded area. "What the hell was that for?!" Kaminari exclaimed, glaring at the tired-looking male. 

"Who the hell do you think you are?" Shinso asked, shoving Kaminari against a wall. The pikachu-like boy growled slightly under his breath. "I'm-" He was cut off before he could finish. Shinso had activated his quirk on the blonde boy, smirking. "Now, why don't you go home and leave (L/N) and I alone?" He teased, knowing deep down that he had won.

You were slightly worried when Shinso walked back alone. "Where's Kami?" You asked, concerned about the blonde's well-being. Shinso kept his same stoic face. "He said he wasn't feeling well and needed to go home. How about you and I go get ice cream?" He quickly and easily changed the subject.

Your face lit up when you heard 'ice cream'. "Yeah, sure!" You replied, your worries about Kaminari instantly gone. Shinso smirked, wrapping one of his arms around your shoulder. Being so oblivious, you didn't notice this. 

After a few more hours of hanging out with Shinso, you decided it was best that you go home. He offered to walk you, but you refused, feeling like something bad would happen if you allowed him to. The purple-haired male understood, bidding you farewell and heading home.

~

"How can we be so sure that this'll work?"

"Just trust me. If everything goes according to plan, we'll have them before you know it."

"I'm not sure." 

"We don't have time for uncertainty. If we want this to work, you have to be sure."

"Whatever. Fine."