[ CHAPTER FORTY-NINE]

New Orleans, 1821

The crescent moon casted a warm glow across the treetops of the expanse woodland; it seemed with every crunch of fallen, crisp leaves and the snapping of brittle branches seemed to leave Astrid feeling uneasy

The feeling was foreign to her, she couldn't recall the last time she'd felt so vulnerable. For the first time in eight-hundred-years, she felt as if she was the prey rather than the hunter.

Rebekah however didn't seem to harbour similar feelings on the matter as she practically skipped through the woods, humming lowly between each echoing shout of Marcel's name.

Wrapping her arms around her tightly, Astrid frowned, an anxious feeling gnawing away at her as she helplessly searched for Marcel.

Though none of them had said it out loud, they all were thinking the same thing.

There was only one enemy powerful enough to take on an original, one enemy who would burn the world to ashes if it meant destroying Nik in the most horrific way fashioned.

Mikael.

If Mikael had found them, had found out Nik's fathering role towards Marcel- Astrid couldn't even bear to think such horrors, shivering at the thought.

The thought of Marcel; petrified and possibly injured not only terrified her, it filled with a bloodthirsty rage that easily rivalled her husbands.

When it came to Marcel, there was nothing she wasn't prepared to do if it meant saving her son.

She would rip the city apart till it rained heavily with blood, she'd burn the city down to mere cinders, if it meant she'd have her baby back in her arms; she'd do it.

Hands cupping around her mouth, Astrid paused.

"Marcel!" She yelled, her delicate voice echoing throughout the forest as she carefully listened out.

Rebekah glanced uneasily at Astrid, frowning as she came to a stop beside the worried brunette.

Her dainty, features were laced with desperation as she scanned the woodlands, hoping to catch sight of a smiling Marcel running towards her.

Astrid yearned for him to jump out from behind one of the tree stumps, giggling at how he'd bested her at hide and seek before running into her arms.

Sighing softly, Rebekah gently placed her hand on Astrid's arms, making her sister-in-law jolt from the sudden motion.

"Astrid, this is the third time we've checked this area... I think it's time we-" Rebekah uncomfortably trailed off, causing Astrid to frown.

Swiftly, and rather harshly pulling her arm from Rebekah's touch, Astrid narrowed her eyes at the blonde.