22: The Plan of The Legion

Kyle shot off the moment I got into his car. His eyes were fixed on the road as the car picked up speed.

"So will you explain everything to me now?" I asked him.

"Once we get to The Office." He said, his eyes stll looking ahead.

I felt excited, the adrenaline from before still thrumming through my veins.  There was also a difference in the air, a realization, and I felt like Kyle was going to tell me everything now.  He was going to tell me about all the things I was dying to know.

I stared out the window as buildings sped by, and impatience was washing over me as I tapped my finger rhythmically on my thigh.

"We're almost there." Kyle told me, with a hint of amusement lacing his voice.  I stopped tapping my finger, and I turned to him.

"What changed your mind?  What happened to suddenly make you need to tell me what's going on?"

"This is something too big to keep from you." He answered, dead serious.  I gulped.  What could that mean?  How much danger was I in?

I kept silent, keeping my eyes outside, for the rest of the car ride.  Once we got to The Office, we hurried inside from a door I hadn't gone in from before, Kyle nodding a hello to a few people he knew.  He punched a few numbers on the walls and wound through several doors and buildings, and we finally made it to the wide room with the ridiculously high ceiling that we had come in from before.

The woman from before sitting at the counter buzzed us inside again as Kyle charged towards Mr. Reiner's office.  He slammed the door open without knocking, and he swiftly walked inside, with me following right after.

There was another person sitting in front of Mr. Reiner, and they both looked up.

"Kyle, I'm busy right—" Mr. Reiner started but stopped when he saw Kyle's experssion. "What's going on?"

"Can we talk in private?" Kyle eyed the visitor uncertainly.  

The visitor stood up. "I was leaving anyway."   He stalked away, his shoulder brushing against mine for a second, mumbling an apology as he left the room.

Kyle walked to the front of Mr. Reiner's desk.

"Derek is working with The Legion.  I know it."  Kyle said.

"Do you have hard evidence?" Mr. Reiner asked, his mouth a deep-set frown. 

"Yes.  People from The Legion were at the party at the Rhodes' residence today."

Mr. Reiner's eyes widened.  "What were they doing there?"

"I put a small voice recorder in their room.  I should have the information by now."

I cleared my throat.  "Does anyone mind explaining this to me." 

Mr. Reiner looked at me as if he just remembered I was there. Kyle turned to me, taking a deep breath.

"Okay, you know that some rival bank company is trying to get you, right?  Well it turns out rivalry wasn't everything.  They're also working with The Shadow Legion, one of our biggest enemies."

"The Shadow Legion?" I said, not helping but thinking it sounded sort of ridiculous.

Kyle nodded. "They believe that the government is corrupt and want to change every single detail.  They also believe they have a responsibility to 'assist' in many things, and they influence a lot of corrupt behavior into huge industries and organizations.  That's why they're called The Shadow Legion, they're behind everything but kept in the dark."