0.7

SEVEN.
a new mission

🔹️🔹️🔹️

"There's no way we're gonna get this to work without a full maintenance facility." Mando sighed as Kuiil turned on a nearby lamp post. "This is gonna take days to fix."

"If you care to help, it might go faster." Kuiil replied, handing Mando a piece of equipment. "There is much work to do."

It took them at least a full all-nighter to finally get the ship back together. Meanwhile, I was resting up in my tent with the child inside the crib; he was still sleeping. I wanted to help, but Kuiil insisted that I stay away from helping, since I hadn't fully recovered yet.

In the morning, I got up from the bed and rode a blurrg all the way to the ship, bringing the crib along with me. The ship's location was a lot farther away from camp than I had remembered it to be. I was still healing from the whole thing, but a night of resting helped a lot; I was able to walk without any help now.

"Adalyn..!" Kuiil exclaimed as he watched me jump off the blurrg and walk over to the ship's entrance. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," I said, giving him a weak smile. I looked at the ship and shook my head in approval. "Wow, you guys finished the repairments a lot quicker than I had anticipated."

"I couldn't have done it this fast without Kuiil." Mando replied, turning to face him. "I can't thank you enough. Please allow me to give you a portion of the reward."

"I cannot accept." Kuiil shook his head. "You are my guest and I am therefore in your service."

Mando nodded, "I could use a crew member of your ability, and I can pay handsomely."

"I am honoured," Kuiil said. "But I have worked a lifetime to finally be free of servitude."

"I understand." Mando replied, turning to look at me and the crib. I thought for a moment, biting my lower lip and taking a deep breath in.

"I can go."

".. What?" Mando asked, crossing his arms.

"Like I said, I'm willing to go with you in place of Kuiil. I just wanna make sure the child's safe." I said as I walked closer to him. "But this doesn't mean I completely trust you."

Mando turned to face Kuiil for his approval. Kuiil look at me in confusion before nodding as if accepting my proposal. "She is very promising -- a good fighter and mechanic. Of course, in the end, it is up to you to decide whether or not to bring her with you."

"And you're still willing to help me even though I'm a bounty hunter?" Mando asked, facing me. I shrugged and nodded in response. "Fine."

Kuiil cleared his voice, causing us both to turn back around and face him.

"I offer my thanks." Mando announced.

"And I offer mine. Thank you for bringing peace to my valley.. and please, take good care of Adalyn for me." Kuiil replied, preparing to walk back to the camp. "And good luck with the child. May it survive and bring you a handsome reward -- I have spoken."

🔹️🔹️🔹️

I followed Kuiil as he rode away on his blurrg back to the camp. Mando's ship followed shortly after, so I didn't have to walk all the way back to where it was originally.