[Act 1] Chapter 11: Relieved from Within

Within the troop transport, everyone oriented themselves with the situation by simply taking a peek outside the windows. The vantage point provided a clear overview of the city they are meant to save, from the gates all the way to the citadel. There was fighting going on between the two opposing armies, one not fought from afar but with actual techniques that the weapons of the paratroopers can easily defeat.

When first assigned to assist the Germans, Salomon never expected himself to be leading an aerial drop within a city, despite Werner assigning him to lead the Baltic forces, who are supposed to be hammering at the outside army's flanks by now and be a part of a paratrooper army. Though he didn't mind, he always wanted the chance to experience parachuting in his life but was unsure about dropping straight into swords, spears, and monsters.

"Sir, I think I just witnessed a dragon take down a plane!" The pilot alerted.

"Outdated plane, airman." Salomon corrected, somewhat bluntly. "I'm not so concerned with the planes, it's the jets I am worried about. If we lose the jets, then we might as well destroy all our technology while we are at it. But, I only wish Weber would have attached more than three to our army."

If Weber wasn't attached to Rommel's division, then they wouldn't have been provided with pre-thruster planes. But instead, Stukas and only a few jets were attached to the Third Unit while the real planes along with the real aces were left near Castle Dagonet awaiting Rommel's orders, left to sit and do nothing instead of demonstrating their worth. It only makes men like Salomon wonder why they aren't bringing in experimental technology to test in such an environment. It would certainly be better than let good fighters die on the other side of a portal equipped with outdated weapons.

"Sir, if we are to relieve an entire city full of thousands of swordsmen, then why is it we don't have a single super-soldier or tank dog with us? I would be as content as I am speaking English knowing a super has my back against an ogre."

Salomon sniggered. "Werner wants to keep the collateral damage to a minimum. These people we are relieving are not to think we are here to do any damage to their way of life, thus we need to show we are here to save them. If you encounter an ogre, try aiming for the head. Werner managed to fight two of them during the Attack on Berlin unarmed, so you should be glad you have a gun."

A buzz on the side of the troop transported heralded the lock-and-loading of the MP-38s, FG-40s, and STG-40s of every paratrooper. It was time to drop.

Salomon took glee in charging up his Laserkraftwerk, the single piece of experimental laser technology he brought over from the other side of the gate, despite High Command making it clear that experimental technology is prohibited from entering the world beyond the gate unless weapons testing is taking place and is kept under lock. Salomon bypassed this by simply "borrowing it" from one of the stockpiles.

Every paratrooper could only stare in envy as the blue laser lit up at the front and shined into the dimply lit troop transport

Every paratrooper could only stare in envy as the blue laser lit up at the front and shined into the dimply lit troop transport. Only a few were granted such a weapon back in the Kaiserreich, but each soldier who bore witness to their commanders using one can sleep soundly knowing that they too would be wielding such a mighty weapon, a single piece of technology that is what will pave the way for a quick victory against the Comintern and the Allies, but for now, they will be tested until the date war will break out. In the meantime, it will be the outdated weapons in their hands that matter will win the battle, not just the laser gun.