Enlightenment and Envelopes

TWO DAYS TO GO AJHSSHVGHAGHS

--------

You woke up to an empty house.

And by god you had never been so relieved in your entire life.

Your mother had left you a note on the fridge, saying that a boy brought you home, who brought you home after you had passed out and fallen asleep, claiming to be your boyfriend.

You never told me about him y/n, he is very handsome, she wrote. 

You were going to murder Taehyung.

She went on to say that she had turned off your alarm and to take the day off school in case you were ill.

No school.

No vampires.

Hopefully no Eunha.

Hallelujah.

You could read the book.

You plopped yourself down on the chair with a gigantic bowl of cereal and the ancient looking manuscript, and opened the first page.

Once the era of gunpowder-based weapons came into being, the idea of building castles as defensive measure fell by the wayside. Building large structures for the purpose of defence was no longer practical because it was possible for gunpowder weapons to destroy the buildings in a short amount of time. Cannons, in particular, could completely decimate a square keep and level the structure within days.

Due to this fact, people started thinking of castles as living quarters rather than defensive bases. When large and lavish structures were built during this time period, it was simply a status symbol. A royal or another type of important person would want some sort of impressive home that was befitting to their status. [1]

This castle is an example of  such notions, what became known as the bulletproof palace was an incredibly luxurious household under the ownership of seven vampires who were considered almost royalty among both their kind and ours. Contrary to it's description, the name would suggest that the stronghold was indeed built for defensive purpose, but what need is there for walls when you have inhuman beings residing there? That would be all the defence you would need.

Just as you thought it was beginning to get interesting, it went off into lists of statistics of how large it was, how many staff were employed there, and so on. Nothing about the actual owners.

You were getting impatient as you flicked through pages of maps, of blueprints, and sketches of the castle itself before it was destroyed, which admittedly were rather interesting, but not what you were looking for.

You were about to give up when you found several things of great interest.

There was a hastily done drawing, you were definite it was the original, as it fell out of the book upon turning the page. It wasn't the best of artwork, but you could make out that it was definitely the castle.

And it was on fire.

Don't ever mention the fire.

Hmm.

You turned the page, and your breath stilled.

There was a picture, black and white, taken of a framed painting that was clearly the seven boys and Eunha. They were all stiff and upright, but you could make out the small smiles that hinted at their lips. They were clearly content at the time.

And then, just inside the back covers, a small painting, about the size of your hand, accompanied by an envelope, of a girl who looked eerily similar to Eunha, but younger, more innocent, perhaps her as a child? A small, handwritten note was attached, in crisp white paper with neat handwriting.

All is not as it seems my dearest y/n, look closer, there's one big piece of the story you're missing. All will fall into place after that.

Was this from the woman in the library? It must be.

Look closer.

You turned over it to squint at the tiny italics written in the top corner.

Jung Dae-in, age 19.

Not Eunha then. Her sister? The idea of her having siblings never occurred to you.

You opened the envelope carefully, to reveal a letter, the edges of the page crumbling away.

My dearest Taemin,

I have made all of the necessary arrangements for us to leave tonight. I am aware that we did not plan to leave until the baby was born, as it would be dangerous for me to be on the run while with child, but circumstances have changed. Eunha plans to kill me tonight, she believes the child belongs to one of the boys, and is determined to be rid of me, despite it not being the truth. She is having the palace burnt to the ground in an "accident", with me being unfortunately left within the walls.

My love, the only way we can escape this horrible fate is if we leave now, and that she sets fire to the building without realising I am gone. I can't let my little girl die, I can't let our powerful and beautiful lineage end with the monster that is my sister. Meet me behind the coach house at 10 o'clock, I have arranged a carriage to take us as far as two towns over, and we shall make our way from there. Nobody must ever find out.

Please stay strong, for me, for us, for our daughter. 

All my love,

forever your Dae-in.

---------------

hi :)

[1] credit to https://www.homestratosphere.com/types-of-castles/  for the fun castle info.

we stan knowledge

I hope you all have an amazing Christmas, and happy new year if I don't update before then!!

(let's face it, I probably won't 😂)

vote and comment (/0-0)/

peace out uwuwuuwu