Chapter 21

POV Betty

"Well, that was nice of Sweet Pea" V said with a smile after I told them what had happened.

"It sure was lucky that he showed up when he did" Kevin added and I nodded.

"I can't believe that Malachi would try something like that. Jug's going to kill him" C piped in.

"Yeah. Oh, well. He's a jerk." I stated and they all agreed. We were all in V's room, getting ready for the dance. Kevin was helping with my hair as C and V were working on theirs. Mom and Hermione called as they came in and we called back. They poked their heads in the door.

"Do you kids need anything? How about a snack?" Hermione asked and we smiled.

"Of course! We'll bring you something. We can't have you go to the dance on an empty stomach." Mom said.

"Toni just texted me. She want's to get ready with the boys. They want to pick us up an hour earlier so we can grab dinner. What do you think?" C asked us. Kevin looked at his watch.

"That'll only give us an hour" V began but C and Kevin looked so excited that I stopped her.

"That'll be fine" I interrupted and then turned to Mom and Hermione.

"Can you help us?" I asked in desperation. They both beamed and jumped right in. In less than an hour we were ready. Mom was great with hair and Hermione was a wiz with make up.

"We need you two to help us every time" C remarked and they both looked on in pride. I knew that we had made their days by letting them help us.

"Ok. Let's get a few pictures before the others show up" Mom suggested and we all went downstairs. We posed for some shots for a few minutes before the doorbell rang. Mom went to answer it while Hermione fussed over us.

"Well don't you all look wonderful?" we heard Mom exclaim. Soon Toni, Fangs, Sweet Pea and Jughead walked in. Everyone stopped and stared at each other. Jughead looked achingly handsome in his suit. He gazed at me in wonder as I couldn't help but do the same to him. Mom and Hermione broke us all out of our stupor by asking to take some pictures.

"Everyone stand by your dates, please" Mom directed. Jug followed he instructions and stood behind me.

"You look wonderful, baby" he whispered in my ear. Then he thrust a box into my hands.

"What's this?" I asked and he grinned as I opened it.

"It's a corsage. It goes with your dress. My dad said that we need to get you all flowers." Jug explained and I grinned, noticing that he had a matching boutonniere. Toni had a matching corsage with C while Kevin and Fangs had matching boutonnieres. Sweet Pea had gotten V a corsage in the same colors as her dress and his boutonniere.

"That was thoughtful. Your Dad is just as smooth as I remember" Mom laughed as Hermione shook her head. They took a few pictures and promised to send them to the other parents.

"We better go" Fangs said as he checked his watch.

"Have fun! I'll bring Mac to meet you at the school after he drops off his luggage" Mom called as she and Hermione waved. We walked out to the limo. The driver opened the door for us and we all slid in. Jug of course made sure to sit next to me.

"I heard that you had an exciting afternoon, baby" he said and I shrugged. I smiled at Sweet Pea just to piss Jug off.

"I guess, I'm just glad that Sweet Pea was there." I replied. Sweet Pea shook his head at me and Jug frowned.

"Yeah. That was lucky. From now on, I'll give you a ride home after school" Jug replied and I rolled my eyes. Before I could say anything Cheryl cut in.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure that she never walks home alone again" she announced. I sighed when V spoke up.

"If anyone should watch over her, it will be me. I'm her sister" V decreed and glared at both C and Jug until they both nodded.

"So where are we going for dinner?" Kevin asked to change the subject.

"Just this little Italian place nearby" Fangs explained right as we pulled up. Jughead helped me out of the car and we followed our friends into the little restaurant.

"So... you got a new phone number..." Jug began and I sighed.

"Yep" I replied as we walked in.

"Any particular reason why?" he asked as the host showed us to our table. I shrugged and his eyes narrowed at me.

"Does it have anything to do with that message you got at the mall?" he tried and I just shrugged again. He pulled out my chair and helped me sit down.

"Let's not talk about it tonight, ok?" I pleaded. He looked at me for a moment and nodded.

"Fine but only if you promise that we are going to talk about it" he countered.

"Fine" I agreed taking note that neither of us specified when we would talk about it. I resolved to just try and enjoy the night for the sake of my friends.

Dinner went surprisingly well. The food was excellent and our group chatted animatedly the whole time. Even Jughead seemed to be in a good mood. After many arguments, Cheryl won and paid the bill under the agreement that she couldn't pay for anything the next time.

We all piled back in the limo and arrived at the school just a few moments later. Jughead helped me out of the car again. Then he offered me his arm which I took. Together we walked into the dance which was already in full swing. Our group found a table to call home base and then divided up. Sweet Pea and V went to dance while Kevin and Fangs went to get pictures done. Cheryl and Toni went to talk to some friends and Jughead and I sat down.

"Thanks again for the flowers" I said as a way to start a conversation. He smirked.

"No problem. I'm glad that you like them." he replied and then we lapsed into silence again.

"I'm sorry that I wasn't there to help you this afternoon. Don't worry about Malachi. Dad heard what happened and he insisted on taking care of it himself." Jug said after a while.

"It's ok. Like I said before, it's not your job to look after me" I replied but he smirked.

"Why won't you just try to let us work? What are you so afraid of?" he asked and I frowned.

"I already told you. We wouldn't work. It wouldn't be healthy." I explained but he shook his head.

"How do you know that?" he demanded.

"I know how you are." I stopped myself and took a deep breath.

"Should we dance?" I asked as a way to change the subject. He grinned and pulled me out onto the floor. We danced for several songs and had a great time together. For a while I forgot that it was Jughead the great Serpent leader dancing with me. For a while it was just Juggie, my old friend whom I had known all my life. The boy that I could trust with anything.  It was wonderful but sadly, all good things must come to an end and the DJ announced the last dance before we knew it. I checked my phone to see that my Mom had texted me. Mac had just arrived so we still had a few minutes before I had to go to outside to meet him. Mom was going to drop him off.

"Shall we, baby?" Jug asked and I agreed to dance the last dance with him. He pulled me close and I sighed in happiness. If only we could stay like this forever.