Chapter 19- The Good Cop Bad Cop

"Mumma, take a picture," Dhruv ordered as he sat on the driver's seat and pretended to drive.

Dhvani shook her head at his antics and began clicking his pictures.

"Show me!" He demanded.

She rolled her eyes and showed him the pictures.

"Take another one."

"Dhruv, that's enough!" She tried to pull him out of the seat. "We are getting late."

"It's fine," Shaurya said as he patiently sat on the passenger side. "I don't have anywhere to be."

"Are you sure you are not tired after entertaining guests all night?" She asked with feigned sweetness.

Shaurya's whose attention was focused on Dhruv, didn't register her tuant at first. He looked up at her, and with the same feigned sweetness, he replied. "Thank you so much for worrying about me, Dhvani. But I think I'll be okay."

Dhvani's fake smile dissapeared, and she huffed. "I am not worried about you." She clarified.

"Aren't you?" He continued his teasing. "It looks like you are."

Even after all these years, Shaurya still managed to get a rise out of her. Stomping her foot in annoyance, she turned to her son, who was playing with the radio. "Dhruv, what are you doing?"

"Mumma, look," Dhruv said, turning the volume to the loudest setting.

"Dhruv!" Dhvani admonished and turned down the radio. "Get off right now. Otherwise, there'll be no ice cream." She warned.

"There is no need for you to yell at him like that," Shaurya whispered when Dhruv pouted and got into the passenger seat.

"Don't tell me how to raise my child." She snarled. "I have been raising him by myself, and I know how to talk to him and take care of him."

"Whose fault is that you raised him by yourself?" Shaurya retorted.

"You know what, Shaurya?" Dhvani took a deep breath in. "I don't want to talk to you because you have no maturity at all. All you want to do is accuse other people for your failures. You never want to accept your fault."

He scoffed in disbelief. "I-"

"And you bought a red car? Seriously?" Dhvani said in irritation as she went to open the back seat of the vehicle.

"What's wrong with red?" He asked with a frown. "It is a beauty. One of a kind."

"It is too flashy. Something a little more sober, like white or black would have been better."

"That's boring." He said with a slight rolling of his eyes.

"Whatever. It is your car. Who am I to say anything."

"Are you ever happy with anything I do?"

○▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎○

Dhruv placed his hands and stuck his face on the glass as he stared outside the window.

"Dhruv. Baby, what are you doing?" Dhvani asked with a sigh. "You are dirtying the car."

"It's okay," Shaurya said dismissively.

Dhvani narrowed her eyes and shot daggers at Shaurya, and he just shrugged his shoulders as he looked at her through the rearview mirror. If this was his idea of parenting, they were going to have a problem.

"Where do you want to go for ice cream?" Shaurya asked Dhruv.

"Ice palace!" Dhruv squealed. "It's mumma and my favourite. Right, mumma?"