Forty One

Chapter Forty One:

"It's almost two o'clock."

Theodora huffed, keeping her eyes shut.

"I think it's time to wake up."

She groaned, shaking her head. A pounding making it hard to focus even with her eyes closed.

"Theo."

An eye peeled open, spotting Malcolm's face just in front of her own. "Wake up."

"No." She cringed, the night before fluttering through her head. "Oh no."

He laughed, "You remember? Well, at least now I can annoy you with it and you'll understand."

Theodora pulled herself up, rubbing her eyes. "I am so sorry." She looked at him, "Oh my god. I can't... I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize." He snorted, "Now get dressed, we're going to go to the precinct and check to see if Gil has any cases we can work on. I haven't heard from him in days."

"I haven't either."

Malcolm stood up straight, "But you've also been ignoring everyone's phone calls for days on end, anyways."

She glared, "Get out so I can change."

Both brows raised, "Back to normal already, I see."

She stuck the finger up at him as he left, letting the door click shut behind him. Theodora shed her pyjamas and traded them for a pair of plaid jeans and an oversized white sweater. She tucked her hair behind both ears as she grabbed a pair of fluffy socks and pulled them on. With a sigh she marched out of her room and found Malcolm leaning against the front door frame, waiting.

"We should get you a bigger place."

"We?" She questioned, collecting her items, stuffing them in a small bag she threw over a shoulder.

"Me, actually. I'd pay for it."

"I don't want handouts." She opened the door, holding it open for him to follow. He peeked his head out, unmoving.

"Are you sure?"

"Get into the hallway, dork."

He smiled taking a big step over the threshold, she rolled her eyes and locked the door with a new key Malcolm had gotten cut for her. She came home one day and the locks were all changed, and in her hand was a brand new key to add to everything else.

They walked down the hall to the staircase, Malcolm holding the door open for her as she slipped through.

"Are you parked close?" She questioned, as they found themselves outside minutes later.

"A few blocks away."

"Why so far?"

He snorted, "So we can enjoy the views around us."

Theodora pursed her lips, "I am sorry. Really sorry, about last night."

"I am too."

She squinted at him, "You—"

"Have a pretty face. I know."

Theodora glared, whacking his arm. "Asshole."

He only laughed, shaking his head. He fell silent, lips pursed. Theodora frowned, "Stop overthinking."

"Huh?"

"You heard what I said."

Malcolm blinked, "I saw him again."