31. Passionate Lover

Mature Content

 "You've only dated one girl? One girl? In high school

"You've only dated one girl? One girl? In high school. Don't you ever wonder how it feels being with someone that just wants you?" I asked, leaning against the chair with my champagne in hand.

Joey swallowed a piece of steak and said, "What am I missing? What do you really get out of being in a relationship?" He asked, clenching his jaw. His reply reveals that he's never committed, and I don't think he wants to. Maybe he's never met anyone that showed him differently, that relationships aren't anything to be scared of.

I flickered my eyelashes in his direction, studying him. "I don't know. I mean, there's a lot you're missing. Someone that breaks your walls, and you can be yourself around them without worrying. Or that person that doesn't care about your flaws and wants the best for you." I breathed out, "There's a lot, and once you get a taste of it, you're always looking for that feeling, you know?"

"I don't," He grinned, poking his cheek with his tongue. "Is that how you felt with your ex?"

I choked on my shrimp at Kevin being brought up. "No. Come to think of it, I don't think I was myself with him. I always had to be someone else to keep his attention, and I'm pissed it took me so long to figure that out."

Joey washed his food down with water. "Let me guess; you felt like you weren't enough?"

I nodded as I picked at my food. "All the time," I muttered, looking away.

"I hope you don't believe that, do you?"

I chewed on the inside of my lip. "I did. I still do. I just...want someone to look at me like Cameron looks at Sam." They love each other so much, and it gives me hope. They both weren't looking to be in relationships, and it just happened. No, I'm not saying they're perfect because they had a bunch of hiccups, but it always works out.

The server came over asking if we wanted dessert, which broke us from the awkward conversation. When we both denied, the employee cleared our table as we sat and talked. We both didn't realize the time slipping as we enjoyed each other's company.

"Tell me something you've never told anyone," I curiously asked.

Joey took a second to think. "Uh, that's a good one. Something I never told anyone." He continued reflecting. "I sometimes think about how my life would be if I took a different route. Like would I be married? Dating? Or even have kids?"

Before I could speak, Joey said, "I know...it's dumb."

I pushed my hands over the top of his on the table. "It's not dumb at all. I used to wonder about that, too. If I'd ever be someone's wife or mother."

With a smile, Joey met my gaze. "You will, one day. I know you'll be a damn good one."

Joey arched his eyebrow. "You ever walked on the beach at night?" He asked.