15. coming home

Lyn didn't want to go back to Hogwarts. She had spent the past few months fighting with Moony, dealing with Ron and Hermione, and feeling like she was a new person. Now she was with her dad for the first time in years and she felt like she was finally the person that she was always meant to be. She was still getting used to being called Briar Rose, but she decided that she liked that name more than Lyn.

Sirius told Lyn about everything: Lily and James, her mom Marlene, Moony, the day she was born, her play dates with Harry and even the last day Sirius ever saw her. In return, Rose, as she now liked to be called, told Sirius every story about herself she could remember. She told her dad about all the lies Remus had told her about her life and her parents, and Sirius made a mental note to slap Remus on the back of the head the next time he saw him. Rose also told her dad all about her short time at Hogwarts and all the new friends she had made. Obviously, Sirius held onto her every word and asked more questions than Rose knew was possible. Rose and Sirius had been together for 5 days, not knowing that the whole ministry of magic was getting involved.

Sirius stared at his daughter and thought of how life in the castle was currently. He had snuck in as a dog a few times and saw that all the teachers were in a panic and some of the students were as well. Sirius decided it was time for Rose to go back.

"Rose, we need to talk," Sirius said hesitantly. Rose looked up from the blanket that she was trying to fix.

"What is it?" She asked as she put down the stick that she had Sirius transfigure into a needle. Sirius had been doing all the magic due to the trace that was still on Rose. Plus, Rose thought that doing some magic would help him feel better.

"I think you need to return to Hogwarts," Sirius told the girl, not quite meeting her eyes. The room was silent for a long time.

"I don't want to do that," Rose whispered. Sirius felt his heart breaking.

"But why not? Hogwarts is great!" Sirius argued.

"Hogwarts is great, but I don't want to leave you. Everyone will freak out and I'll have to lie about where I was," Rose explained.

"We'll think of something. Plus, I know you miss Moony and your friends," Sirius said, almost pleading with her.

"Moony and I have had a hard year. We barely talk anymore and my friends all have other friends that they like more. I'm always a third or fourth wheel around everyone," Rose told her father, her voice breaking. Sirius quickly reached out and hugged her. She had never told him that this was how she felt. She only told him who her friends were.

"I'm sure Moony is just trying to protect you. What are you guys even fighting about?" Sirius said, trying to understand a little bit better.

"He's lied to me about my parents my whole life. It's just wrong. And now I know that he's lied to me about lying to me," Rose responded.

"Moony is smart. He probably did this to protect you or someone else, probably Dumbledore, told him to," Sirius responded. Rose nodded. "And why do you think that about your friends?"

"Well, Ron, Harry and Hermione have been friends since first year and if I hadn't been in the same carriage as them on the train I doubt they would even notice me. And Cedric is older and has all his other friends," Rose explained.

"Truthfully, that's just a part of life. And it sucks but it happens. With time it'll change," Sirius replied. "They'll realize how amazing you are and they'll regret leaving you behind."

"I don't want to try. I want to spend time here with you," Rose said sternly.

"I want to spend time with you as well, but your godfather and friends are a mess and I can only hide both of us for so long. I'm surprised Moony hasn't looked here before," Sirius said.