23 First Impressions Are Strongest 3/3

先入為主
xiān rù wéi zhǔ
The first impression takes priority.
First impressions are strongest.

When we returned to Wo You Nai Zakhar informed Sanli that we had seen his sister returning from her hunting exhibition.

Sanli did not look pleased.

But we heard no more of Erli, and I continued my routine of walking in the morning, eating and reading in the afternoons and evenings. Sometimes, particularly when I needed to exchange my book for a new one, I would walk over to Ermi's quaint little courtyard decorated with rabbits to eat with her and Liang'yi. And sometimes I took my food into the forest with me to eat and read alone.

We had almost been in the valley two weeks when I met the second prince again. It was the first time since I had seen him since we had last met in my room in the palace in Zhanghai.

I had followed my usual morning practice, wandering through the trails of the valley until I had become lost. I paused to rest by a pond in an abandoned courtyard filled with forgotten carp. Their mouths gulped at the surface when my shadow fell across the pond, beseeching me to feed them.

Leaving the courtyard, I started back the direction I had come from, hoping to meet a servant or page before too long who could direct me.

I turned a corner to see a tall figure ahead of me, dressed in a black military uniform. "Ah, just a moment!" I called out, running to catch up.

I looked down at the uneven path as I ran, so as not to trip over my long robes and too high shoes, and only looked up when I had grown close. I was surprised to see who waited for me.

"Oh," I said. The copper prince.

"Lady Yunyou," said Zhangyu tersely. His copper eyes were filled with displeasure, sharp eyebrows pulled down in what was definitely a glare. "Can I assist you with something?"

I quickly recovered my composure. "Prince Zhangyu! What a fortuitous meeting. I seem to have become lost. Perhaps you could show me back to my rooms?"

Zhangyu looked as though he wished to say no. "Where are you staying?" he asked.

"With your uncle, in Wo You Nai courtyard."

"But of course you are," said the second prince. He ran a hand through his hair. "Fine. I will show you back. But first I need to speak to my cousin. His courtyard is just ahead."

I nodded, and fell into step beside him. The second prince's long strides made me hurry to keep up.

"The way is rather uneven, my prince. Perhaps you could offer me your arm?"

Beside me, Zhangyu's frown deepened. "Why should I continue to play to your wants, when you have chosen my uncle over me?" he replied brusquely.

His answer surprised me. "Oh come, my prince. There is no need to be quite so bitter. I haven't 'chosen' anyone. I simply prefer to stay with your uncle. And regardless, there is no reason we can't be civil."

Zhangyu scoffed. "Civility. Hah, what will that get me?"

"More than rudeness and a coarse attitude will," I replied sharply.