n i n e

"SEE THIS COLOUR IS TOO BRIGHT, but this one has these dangly things." Mia observed the two gowns in her hands. "They're equally hideous."

They had located a small boutique shop where exquisite clothes were being tailor fit to the wealthy. The two definitely felt out of place, but had decided that their whole plan was a waste of time if Mia didn't look the part of a rich Cantonican gambler.

Fashion had never really been a component of Mia's life. Farmers were most practical in loose woven tunics, and assassins worked best in tight leotard type clothes. Dresses were nothing but a nuisance.

However, some small part of Mia's femininity reached out to the soft, expensive fabrics, she was ashamed of how they were beginning to lure her in.

"Just pick one, hurry up." The Mandalorian snapped.

She huffed, "You're no fun to shop with."

They didn't need to hurry at all, they had all afternoon to play dress up, but he'd rather spend that time anywhere else.

Mia walked away from them, eyes wandering around the rest of boutique. Cantonican fashion was so elaborate, outlandish and crazy - she was not.

In the midst of the sparkly gowns, a midnight black gown caught her attention, it's long drapes and silk like material embodied luxury, yet subtlety.

"That one." She pointed.

The Mandalorian followed her gaze before nodding, "Go get it, I'll pay."

Mia handed over the gown to the boutique owner whose eyes lit up with excitement, "Is this for you? You'll look beautiful in this."

Mia shook her head, "But will I be comfortable? I doubt it."

"Of course not," The lady accepted the credits and packed up the dress, "Beauty comes at a price."

Mia shot a glare towards the Mandalorian, "See? I'm suffering at the expense of being a woman."

"It's about time you did something." He managed to say before she shoved him harshly.

Her competitive side had a tendency to peek out, she knew she had contributed to this bounty hunt as much as him, but the problem was that he was apparently as competitive as she was.

The owner smiled at the pair, visible wrinkles appearing at the sides of her ageing cheeks.

"I'd suggest to go light with the jewellery, maybe some dramatic eye makeup," Said the woman, "and you definitely need heels with this dress."

Mia exchanged a brief look of confusion with Mando, before turning to the woman once more, "Jewellery? Shoes?"

The woman glanced speculatively between the pair. She wasn't accustomed to such kind of customers. But she didn't judge.

"Oh my dear," She leaned closer from behind the counter, "the dress is about 50% of the final look."

Mia's cheeks reddened. Some foolish part of her thought that one spectacular gown would magically transform her into a a beautiful creature of Cantonica. But it was just a dress after all.

The Mandalorian sensed her unease as she stiffened beside him, and with a reluctant sigh he turned to the boutique lady.

"How much to fix... this?" He motioned to Mia.

"I hate you." Mia muttered.

"Your event is tonight?" The lady trailed her eyes across Mia in thought, "I can get her ready for a fair price, and throw in some accessories too."